Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by…

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (original 1979; edition 1989)

by Betty Edwards (Author)

Member:jbpjackson
Title:Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
Authors:Betty Edwards (Author)
Info:Tarcher (1989), Edition: Revised, 254 pages

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards (1979)

English (19)  Portuguese (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (23)
It's a start in learning how to see. I began. ( )
  deckla | Jun 13, 2018 |
Excellent (so far); succeeds in leading you to being confident and to draw what you actually see. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 21, 2017 |
Translated into more than seventeen languages, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is the world's most widely used drawing instruction book. Whether you are drawing as a professional artist, as an artist in training, or as a hobby, this book will give you greater confidence in your ability and deepen your artistic perception, as well as foster a new appreciation of the world around you. ( )
  cuelibrary | Jun 25, 2013 |
"The purpose of this book is not to teach you to express yourself, but instead to provide you with the skills which will release you from stereotypic expression," declares Edwards. Just as Updike taught me to look at a painting and see everything in it, Edwards taught me to look at what I sought to draw. Citing research on differences in right brain and left brain function, Edwards bases her teaching method on the premise "that developing a new way of seeing by tapping the spatial functions of the right hemisphere of your brain can help you learn to draw." The exercises presented are designed to train the student to process visual information through the right brain, the side that sees things as they are, rather than the left brain, where human beings store symbols for what they see. The results of working with Edwards's exercises were surprising and satisfying for me. By following the book's instructions, reasonable, realistic representations of people and objects began to emerge from my pencil.

I was working from Edwards's 1979 edition when I learned to draw in 1997. There is a lot of new information in the 1989 edition. She has a greater emphasis on what she calls drawing as a "global skill." Global skills, such as reading, become automatic over time. Thus, by learning the four basic skills Edwards teaches, you will eventually (sooner, rather than later, she claims) draw just as automatically as you read. She has also expanded and improved the skill of sighting and the skill of the perception of lights and shadows. And to aid those who plan on going into painting, she has added a chapter on drawing with color. ( )
1 vote bookcrazed | Jan 20, 2012 |

Betty Edwardsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dahl, Hans NormannPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dahl, Hans NormannTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dannewitz Linder, MatsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eklund, PaulCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For their loving help and support, I dedicate this edition to be daughter, Anne Bomeisler Farrell, and to my son, Brian Evans Bomeisler.
Drawing is a curious process, so intertwined with seeing that the two can hardly be separated.
Please note that "Drawing on the right side of the brain", "The new drawing on the right side of the brain" and "The new drawing on the right side of the brain workbook" are three separate works, keep in mind when combining.

Presents a set of basic exercises designed to release creative potential and tap into the special abilities of the brain's right hemisphere.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,108,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible