The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Color Purple (original 1982; edition 2003)

by Alice Walker

Member:LGFLibrary
Title:The Color Purple
Authors:Alice Walker
Info:Mariner Books (2003), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 300 pages
Collections:Lesbian/bi female/feminist fiction
Tags:Fiction, Women, Family, violence, Rape, Deep South, America, Race, Novel, 1980s

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1982)

Recently added byprivate library, sec_msdo, SandyDawn, ClaireAHansen, rena75, kmorsey, WendiV, parklib, ClematisScott
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose, Thomas C. Dent
1980s (42)
Read (46)

English (260)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (268)
One of the 20th Century's greatest novels, great novel of any century. Walker seems to be influenced by Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn, except that the main character Celie is imprisoned physically by her abusive husband, and must travel in her mind and through letters of traveling sister who returns to Africa. Eventually, Celie eventually gets help and emerges as a confident person who starts a pants factory. So, the novel is both an African-American and Women's Liberation novel. Made in to a movie by Steven Spielberg. ( )
  atufft | Jul 4, 2019 |
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
For those who haven't read the book...There may be a spoiler or two...

When it came out in the 1980's, like most others, I watched it and fell in love with the movie.

It wasn't until last year that I picked up this book and attempted to read it. Again, this was a book I wasn't quite sure how I'd feel about it. It took me a bit to get into it because the beginning of the movie was always hard for me to deal with. But once I got past that part, and got further into the story, I really began to love it. And of course, I loved it more than the movie.

Of course, there were details in the book that wasn't in the movie. And it answered some questions I had...Like, what happened to the man Shug Avery married.

And what type of relationship Shug and Cellie actually had. And Cellies True feelings for her.

And I found out that Cellie & Mister actually became friends in the book. {Which they didn't show in the movie}.

I fell so in love with this book I didn't want it to end. I found myself not really even wanting to watch the movie any more because of it...lol...

But I still do love the movie....

Anyone who loved the movie, and maybe even love Alice Walker books but haven't read this one...It's very much worth reading. Or even if you don't like her books and haven't read this one...Its worth reading. I don't like Alice Walkers other books {I've tried reading them and couldn't get into them} but this one will always be on my top 10 favorite books I believe. ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
I can't say anything "literary" about this book that hasn't been said by the true critics already, so this review is more of a personal reflection (as many of my classics reviews turn out to be). The Color Purple spent more than ten years on my "did not finish" shelf. It was assigned reading for a class called Novel when I was in college, and at nineteen years old I was shocked and disturbed by the first page. After about twenty more pages, I took it to my professor and said, "This book is degrading and makes me feel dirty." He said, "Yes, that is the point." I said, "I just can't read this." He kindly told me I didn't have to. At the time, I intended never to touch the book again.

All these years later, I picked it back up, unsure what I would glean from it but determined to finish it this time regardless of the content. And I'm glad I did. This is a hard book, a heartbreaking book. Yes, a degrading book, because Walker is a genius whose voice does not allow the reader to stand at a distance from Celie's degradation. Or from Sofia's. The treatment of Sofia made me tremble at my core perhaps more than anything that happened to Celie. This has to be one of the best examples written of a "visceral" story. One doesn't simply read and ponder it; one is forced to live it and feel it and absorb what is being done to other human beings. That Walker chose to finish her tapestry with bright threads of hope, even hints of redemption and joy, left me feeling grateful on behalf of Celie and Nettie but reminded me too that they are fiction, that the people who lived this history (less than a century ago!) did not always experience such joy.

A hard read. Sometimes an appalling read. But a vital one. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
Un libro muy vivo, muy auténtico y con mucha emoción. Pero les paso una advertencia: ésta es una de esas novelas en las que sí cambia mucho la experiencia dependiendo en qué lengua la leas. La traducción al español (la única que he visto publicada) tiene varios errores y, en general, no me parece que capte lo esencial de la prosa de Walker. Si saben inglés, consíganla. ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.
Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."
A woman's tale
on the politics of black
Georgia, 1930s, grit, faith
survival - told from the heart

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671727796, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, "The Color Purple" established Alice Walker as a major voice in modern fiction. Her unforgettable portrait of Celie and her friends, family, and lovers is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, "The Color Purple" is a classic of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Set in the deep American South, The color purple is the story of Celie, a young black girl born into extreme poverty and segregation. Raped repeatedly by the man she calls 'father', she is then given by him to a violent man. Later she meets Shug Avery, a glamorous singer, who gives her the courage to take charge of her life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,306,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible