dismiss

Adventures in the Screen Trade: A Personal…

Adventures in the Screen Trade: A Personal View of Hollywood and… (original 1983; edition 1989)

by William Goldman (Author)

Now available as an ebook for the first time! No one knows the writer's Hollywood more intimately than William Goldman. Two-time Academy Award-winning screenwriter and the bestselling author of Marathon Man, Tinsel, Boys and Girls Together, and other novels, Goldman now takes you into Hollywood's inner sanctums...on and behind the scenes for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All the President's Men, and other films...into the plush offices of Hollywood producers...into the working lives of acting greats such as Redford, Olivier, Newman, and Hoffman...and into his own professional experiences and creative thought processes in the crafting of screenplays. You get a firsthand look at why and how films get made and what elements make a good screenplay. Says columnist Liz Smith, "You'll be fascinated.… (more)
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Adventures in the Screen Trade: A Personal View of Hollywood and Screenwriting
Authors:William Goldman (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1989), Edition: Reissue, 608 pages

Adventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman (1983)

(Note to self, paperback copy has been read enough such that it's falling apart. If you suddenly find yourself looking for it? It's probably fallen to bits.) ( )
  bookishbat | Sep 25, 2013 |
Group U
  gilsbooks | May 17, 2011 |
My officemate Susan, a huge Redford fan, insisted I read this book in 1987 or 88 and I'll always be grateful to her. The opening explanation of stardom explains a great deal about how the movie business works, and the analysis of Butch and Sundance is a classic of narrative study. The final experiment in converting a rote short story of the type taught in high schools to a screenplay is disappointing, but something can be learned from the discussions with different craft professionals about why it fails.
1 vote athenasowl | Jan 14, 2011 |
I bought this book second-hand this year. It was me (? I) that was at fault with this book not the author. I hadn't realised it was written twenty-six years ago and also that I'm not an aspiring screen-writer so not looking for tips. If I'm honest I was probably wanting a little more insider gossip. Tut, tut. ( )
  hazelk | Dec 14, 2010 |
An excellent book, especially if you are interested in a career in the film industry, and most especially if that career is in screenwriting. Goldman offers numerous anecdotes from his career in film as well as the insight he has gleaned from it. His writing is simple but oftentimes wise. ( )
1 vote jdiament | Jul 30, 2009 |
Screenwriters are still what Sam Goldwyn called them - 'shmucks with Remingtons' (read word processors now) - but their fees reflect the spendthrift madness of a business that doesn't understand business. Any cash I have in the bank was made not from my primary trade of novelizing but from writing scripts for films that were never made and, so it always seemed at the time of signing the book-length contract, never had any chance of being made...

The sincerity of Goldman's wrath and disgust is never in doubt, but he had no right to expend those emotions in a book so ill-composed that it is an insult to the reader. Damn it, Goldman's enemies lie anywhere but in Brentano's on Sunset Boulevard or in Smith's at Charing Cross. It is a freshman composition in which sometimes the shift key is depressed and, for no special reason except possibly the blindness of the sweat of anger, left so, the word shit is the major pejorative, and slack slang dribbles like unwiped mucus.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Observer, Anthony Burgess (Apr 29, 1984)

Belongs to Series

For Ross Claiborne
It may well be pointless to try and isolate the great powers of the movie industry.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,756,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible