Intergalactic Exterminators, Inc by Ash…

Intergalactic Exterminators, Inc (edition 2022)

by Ash Bishop (Author)

532,635,996 (4.17)None
Finding work is easy. Staying alive is a little bit harder. When Russ Wesley finds an unusual artifact in his grandfather's collection of rare antiquities, the last thing he expects is for it to draw the attention of a ferocious alien from a distant planet. Equally surprising is the adventurous team of intergalactic exterminators dispatched to deal with the alien threat. They're a little wild, and a little reckless. Worse yet, they're so impressed with Russ's marksmanship that they insist he join their squad . . . whether he wants to or not.… (more)
Member:BethYacoub
Rating:****1/2

Work Information

Intergalactic Exterminators, Inc by Ash Bishop

No tags

An exciting and wildly fun, and imaginative character-driven story without an overload of tech!

Intergalactic Exterminators, Inc was wildly imaginative and great fun. The dialogue sparkled with wit and snark and had me grinning like an idiot the entire time I was reading the book. I really wasn't prepared to like Russ, his footloose lifestyle and abnegation of responsibility Isn't my thing, but I quickly fell for him and his desire to do right by his grandmother and his friend, Nina. I felt he loved his grandmother and grandfather, and his regret of not being there for them during their time of need set him up to change his ways. Nina obviously loved her parents and was willing to do whatever she could to help them. Both have a compelling reason to get the job on board the Flashaway with its much-needed salary. But their mutual attraction and growing affection for each other create a heartfelt conflict for the characters and a dilemma for the reader over whom to root for. The crew members of the Flashaway were all characters to love. Each had an interesting and distinct personality, and some fun surprises were revealed in their relationships as the story developed.

The author puts the crew through their paces in various exciting scenarios and extermination missions. The planet settings were diverse and well described, and the indigenous creatures were fantastic, shocking, and dangerous; some obviously so, and others, seemingly benign at first, reappeared later to cause problems.

With still so much "territory" to explore, I was delighted with the book's ending because it left things wide open for a sequel. I recommend INTERGALACTIC EXTERMINATORS, INC to scifi readers who like imaginative and exciting character-driven stories without an overload of tech.

I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving an Advanced Review Copy from the author through Providence Book Promotions. ( )
  KarenSiddall | Sep 26, 2022 |
Between recovering from a torn retina to spending 10 days in paradise, it took me MUCH longer to get through this read than anticipated. Don't get me wrong, this book is in no way sluggish in fact the action starts right off the bat. At first you're wondering what the heck is happening?? BUT the story doesn't leave you stranded for too long. By the 2nd chapter you are rolling along with the action and the characters are likeable enough to make you care what in the world(s)(tee hee) they are forced to face next. There is an impressive bevy of unique, interesting creatures/aliens/robots. I was shocked by the sheer creativity on display. Due to Life I was forced to put this down more often than I would have liked AND each time I was always excited to pick it back up... THAT, in and of itself, is a true sign of an enjoyable book.

Was the writing beautific? No. In fact the writing happened to be succinct and pretty graphic at times... which worked... it most certainly was not flowery or introspective. You will not end up staring off into the ether trying to decipher Life's big questions. Was it a fun book to lose oneself in for whatever amount of time you have to spare? YES!! This story held my attention at every turn and... in the end, I wanted more. BUT be warned... besides the periodic mutilations, beheadings, eviscerations, and all around homicidal scenes, there is Nina and Russ' (our two sentient/human MCs) budding amore (?) ...let's just call it an awkward relationship for now... their awkward relationship was stilted and cold and rather unbelievable at times. Yes, I realize they each had some difficult matters of their own to deal with BUT it was the disjointed interest in one another that kept me wondering "Will they?" "Will they not??" "Should they even?" No chemistry between budding paramores?? That's a big No-No in my world. The lacking chemistry is a literary faux pas that niggles and chafes my brain, hence the lowered rating.

Overall:

This was an Intergalactic coming of age (for a few characters) Space Opera with extremely imaginative aliens/creatures/AI... see how I placed that first, above all other attributes? I LOVED the characters!! It had decent writing and a unique premise. It was fun to read from start to twisty (slightly confusing) finish. I was fully invested. I had to leave and come back to it often, enjoying it in fits and starts and STILL I looked forward to each bit I got to ingest... now THAT'S the sign of a fun, addictive read.

My last 2 cents: if you like Space Operas with fantastical, unique premises that are populated by an impressive amount of varying alien types then this book is for you! If you have a few spare hours... if you can suspend your rational thinking for a while and are looking for some clean(ish) fun (sans Sexytime) reading then I think you should give this one a go... I was plesantly surprised I think you'll be too.

~ Enjoy

*** I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. *** ( )
  BethYacoub | Sep 22, 2022 |
TITLE: Intergalactic Exterminators, Inc.
AUTHOR: Ash Bishop
TW/CW: Sexual harassment/assault, violence, language, guns, insect violence

REVIEW: I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley and am voluntarily leaving an honest review.

Intergalactic Exterminators, Inc. is the story of Russ, a drifter who comes to a small Wyoming town for his grandfather's funeral. By mistake, he discovers alien life and begins training to work with these aliens.

I have very mixed feelings about this book. I almost DNFed it after the first chapter because I just didn't feel like it was well written. But I stuck with it and thankfully things improved a great deal after the first chapter. I still don't consider this a great book, but the story solidified into something I could read. I did not, however, find it to be 'comedic' at all.

Things I liked about this book:

1. It was a creative concept. I liked the idea of the exterminators and what they did.
2.The chapters moved pretty quickly, even though this book was incredibly long.
3.I liked that the ending was mostly happy.

Things I didn't like about this book:

1.It was WAY too long. It just seemed that there was too much going on and the book became unnecessarily bloated.
2. Russ was supposed to be a good shot and Nina was supposed to be crazy smart...but we only know this because the author tells us again and again. The characters are not well developed.
3. The guns. Sorry. I hate guns, and this book had way too much mention of them.

Basically, this book wasn't terrible, but it had a lot of places where it could be improved. ( )
  Anniik | Jun 13, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,779,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible