The London Séance Society: A Novel by Sarah…

The London Séance Society: A Novel (original 2023; edition 2023)

by Sarah Penner (Author)

"1873. At an abandoned château on the outskirts of Paris, a dark séance is about to take place, led by acclaimed spiritualist Vaudeline D'Allaire. Known worldwide for her talent in conjuring the spirits of murder victims to ascertain the identities of the people who killed them, she is highly sought after by widows and investigators alike. Lenna Wickes has come to Paris to find answers about her sister's death, but to do so, she must embrace the unknown and overcome her own logic-driven bias against the occult. When Vaudeline is beckoned to England to solve a high-profile murder, Lenna accompanies her as an understudy. But as the women team up with the powerful men of London's exclusive Séance Society to solve the mystery, they begin to suspect that they are not merely out to solve a crime, but perhaps entangled in one themselves..."--… (more)
Member:Si_Titran
Title:The London Séance Society: A Novel
Authors:Sarah Penner (Author)
Info:Park Row (2023), Edition: Original, 352 pages

Work Information

The London Séance Society by Sarah Penner (2023)

This book gave me déjà vu. I felt like it was written just for me! My eclectic interests in the Victorian era and women's rights, the paranormal, a genuine F/F romance, and true crime woven together beautifully by Penner. From the moment I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. The prose is smooth and accessible, and it's an easy read but substantial, with vivid details that flesh out the unique characters. Is the main character a bit more reckless than I'd have liked? Sure, but it did push the action forward so the narrative didn't drag. The final bit was stellar. I loved how all the plots were unraveled. The ending was appropriately vague, although I would read a sequel in a heartbeat. After this read, Lost Apothecary is definitely in my to-read list. ( )
  hestia0 | Jun 28, 2024 |
This writer is becoming a must read author for me. The intricate stories from dual POV come together seamlessly. The ending of the book was much of a surprise. Opinions of certain characters changed. ( )
  mcutrer89 | Jun 26, 2024 |
It was good but I didn’t finish. The book jumped all over making it hard to keep track of the characters. ( )
  kimwalsh814 | May 24, 2024 |
Possibly the worst written book I have read in recent memory. Hated the story. The focus was on the sexual tension and thus I found the investigation of the sister’s death boring and full of holes. ( )
  womanhollering | May 21, 2024 |
I'm disappointed and couldn't finish. I liked The Lost Apothicary, and this also seemed like it shouuld have been great, but I kept putting it down because it seemed like a first poorly put together story. I've seen it called ameturish and I would agree, thought I did well to get ot page 129...but no further. ( )
  EllenH | Apr 20, 2024 |
GRAVES, YAWN AND YIELD YOUR DEAD…
—WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
For my big sister, Kellie.

(And for you, Mom.
After all, you were the first to say,
“Let's go to a séance. . .”)
At an abandoned château on the wooded outskirts of Paris, a dark séance was about to take place.
Curious, how quickly the truth could extinguish affection.
May mercy be upon the man who finds himself the enemy of a vengeful medium.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,392,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible