The Accident by Elie Wiesel

The Accident (original 1961; edition 1982)

by Elie Wiesel (Author)

Series: The Night Trilogy (3)

Eliezer is a successful journalist and death camp survivor who steps into the pat of an oncoming taxi. Critically injured, he searches the tragic events of his life for answers. How could the Holocaust happen? What kind of God would allow such unthinkable acts to be perpetrated? And as Eliezer lies dying, another extraordinary question emerges. Was he the victim of an accident, did he commit suicide, or was he overwealmed by a potentially fatal indifference to life?… (more)
Member:Jsam
Title:The Accident
Authors:Elie Wiesel (Author)
Info:Bantam (1982), Edition: Reissue, 128 pages

Work Information

Day by Elie Wiesel (Author) (1961)

AKA The Accident ( )
  phollis68 | Apr 9, 2019 |
I recall this novel being vivid; not refracted through memory or parable. The couple in the novel went to see the film adaptation of Brothers Karamzaov. That's odd to recall those detail after 18 years. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
I felt like this novel was about life and happiness rather than death and despair, but that really depends on how you choose to focus on it. The preface poses an important question about the will to live and how we perceive life after experiencing death. I think Day was a great complement to Night and would recommend it to anybody that enjoyed Night. ( )
  startwithgivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
Review: Day by Elie Wiesel. Very good sequel to “Dawn“ the second book of this trilogy. I liked the true story of the first book and the connection of the Author’s character and his thoughts written to create the other two as novels. Elie Wiesel wanted the last two books to present another way of living after he was away from the death camps. As in the second book he was the terrorist and not the victim.

This last book was great. It was only 102 pages so I read it in one sitting. In this book he portrayed his character of possibility having a suicidal impulse throughout the story. The ghost of his past haunted him to no end. He had no future or even a honest present. He lied to all and was good hiding in his suffocating thoughts. There was one person who got to know him well.--- Kathleen…..

“One evening Kathleen told him she couldn’t believe in the integrity of his love”.
“You claim you love me but you keep suffering. You say you love me in the present but you’re still living in the past. You tell me you love me but you refuse to forget. The truth is that I am nothing to you. I don’t count. What counts is the past. Not ours: yours. I try to make you happy: an image strikes your memory and it is all over. You are no longer there. The image is stronger than I. You think I don’t know? You think your silence is capable of hiding the hell you carry within you?”

I explained to her: a man who tells a woman he thinks he loves, “I love you and shall love you forever; may I die if I stop loving you.” believes it……And yet one day he sounds his heart and finds it empty. And he stays alive. He cannot forget. The images are there in front of his eyes. “I think if I were able to forget I would hate myself. We are nothing but suffering, shame, and guilt. We feel ashamed and guilty to be alive, to eat as much bread as we want, to wear good, warm socks in the winter. It’s inevitable. Anyone who has been there has brought back some of humanity’s madness“.

This was said between the two of them the night before the “accidental” brush with a taxi cab as he step off the curb…….
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Day was a dark exploration about the guilt that those who survived the Holocaust experience. It was a fictional account of a man who is hit by a cab and seriously wounded. While he is in the hospital, the reader finds out about his past and his present. This man seems to be existing but not truly capable of experiencing life. In the end, I am left with a lot of questions. Will he begin to live again? Will he truly allow another human to enter his life? Will he stay with Kathleen? Will his past continue to prevent his future? ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |

Wiesel, ElieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coumans, KikiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I was once more struck by the truth of the ancient saying: Man's heart is a ditch full of blood. The loved ones who have died throw themselves down on the bank of this ditch to drink the blood and so come to life again; the dearer they are to you, the more of your blood they drink." -Nikos Kazantzakis, Zorba the Greek
The accident occurred on an evening in July, right in the heart of New York, as Kathleen and I were crossing the street to go to see the movie The Brothers Karamazov.
Day, also published as The Accident.

Day (originally published in 1962 as The Accident) is a novel involving a Holocaust survivor who is hit by a taxi in New York City, and is the third book of a trilogy about the Holocaust.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,336,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible