The Wright Engineers: Inventing the Airplane

by Brian R. Page

1191,549,018 (4.71)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I didn’t get all the way through this book, but what I did read I liked. I enjoy children’s books, as homeschool my children, and I found this one to fill a particular niche. Instead of focusing on the Wright Brothers lives in a biographical way, it focused on the problems they had to solve as engineers to produce a flying machine. This isn’t just another book about the Wright brothers, but an interesting look at the known science and discoveries made while humans learned to fly. A great book to add to your library! ( )
  Jesslaw | Nov 15, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
engineering, history-of-flight, historical-figures, historical-places-events, historical-research, technology, science, inventors, inventions, creative-solutions

This book is definitely beyond my expectations! It is listed as being for a target age group, but I found it to be for a larger audience (even advanced ESL!). There are many photographs of differing early and experimental biplanes and even some current ones. Principles of flight are clearly demonstrated with drawings and more.
I entered the giveaway in the hope of winning a copy for my 14 y/o grandson (or his 11 y/o brother) in Ohio, but showing it on a Zoom family call had their father (my #3 son) asking me to hurry up and finish it so I could send it to family!
I won a print copy of this book in a LibraryThing giveaway from the author. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Sep 13, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Book is about the development of a flying machine. They start off with kites, watching how the wing work and studying the effects. They buile a small wind tunnel to test different wing shapes. All leading up to gliders. after the success of the gliders they built their own engine to power it. Interesting book with a lot of original pictures which were made on glass slides. ( )
  azroadrunner88 | Sep 7, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow, an outstanding book! Beautiful cover, quality pages, and full of information for young readers at 118 pages. Because it's for young readers I really appreciate the sources pages and the explanation for why it's important to include and reference. Also included are a glossary and appendices for Wright Brothers' aircraft specifications and calculating drag. There are several learning opportunities for learning to calculate foundational concepts using simple inexpensive materials, e.g., bicycle wheel testing for wind balance, balancing a yardstick for understanding pitch control, and manipulating a cereal box for wind warping simulations. In addition to being educational, I appreciate the historical storytelling! Great chapter titles such as "Simple and Ingenious", "Birth of a Vision," and "It All Starts With Homework Of Course." Great quality reproductions of historically important photographs and correspondence. I was only surprised by the lack of illustrations as I interpreted the explanation of the book to mean that many drawing illustrations would be included whereas it's actually photographs and some diagrams, but I'm not disappointed as there are many photographs and they're large and great to engage young readers. Recommend very highly, especially for a STEM library.
  bookcaterpillar | Aug 26, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An absolutely wonderful piece of work. Brian does so many great things in his book. He tells the story of the Wright Brother’s development of the first working airplane. His does this by creating a wonderful and accessible presentation of the basic principles of flight. It includes the basic equations and terminology. The time of this development is put into beautiful context, with Brian discussing the historical background and methods used by aerodynamicists at that time. He clearly shows what made a difference in the Wright Brothers approach. There is also a common theme of practice, problem solving in a systems approach, and attention to detail. These are all attributes of the engineering profession. Last but not least, the book is filled with historical photos and diagrams that add to the clarity and excitement of the time. This is a wonderful book for anyone interested in learning about the Wright Brothers, aircraft design, and the history of technology. This work would also make an excellent gift to young person who shows an interesting in in aviation. I’m a graduate aerospace engineer who worked in the field for many years and later taught high school math and physics and I highly recommend it! ( )
1 vote stevetempo | Aug 19, 2022 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Brian R. Page's book The Wright Engineers: Inventing the Airplane was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,224,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible