Villiin luontoon by Erin Hunter

Villiin luontoon (original 2003; edition 2009)

by Erin Hunter

As prophesized, a young house cat becomes an apprentice warrior in a clan of wild cats, where he faces many dangers and treachery both within and outside of his new clan.
Member:LordAvien
Title:Villiin luontoon
Authors:Erin Hunter
Info:Helsinki : Art House, 2009

Work Information

Into the Wild (Warriors, Book 1) by Erin Hunter (2003)

Redwall by Brian Jacques (amaranthe)
    amaranthe: Jacques' animals behave like humans (wear clothes, cook food, live in buildings, use weapons), whereas Hunter's have human-like values and organization while living wild. Redwall is for slightly more advanced readers. Reading "Into the wild" made me want to read "Redwall" again.… (more)
    The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett (amaranthe)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (elenchus)
    elenchus: Strong parallels in world-building, Adams telling stories of rabbits and Hunter of cats. Reading level perhaps a bit higher in Adams.
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (FFortuna)

English (108)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (113)
I had to read this book on a school break because I cannot keep it in my library. It's an enduring modern favorite of young people, and the first in the series.

Rusty, a house cat, dreams of living in the wild. Renamed Firepaw, he takes the chance to join Thunder Clan, one of the 4 warrior clans and begins to train as a warrior. He begins to uncover a mystery surrounding a respected warrior, and the clans come into conflict.

Under the cat metaphor, this is a coming of age story about finding, and being true to yourself. ( )
  TAPearson | Dec 28, 2021 |
Erin Hunter's series Warriors, Into The Wild is based on a wild cat's kingdom where humans live but four cat clans rule. These clans have lived for generations with the forest following "laws" that were given to them by their ancestors. Then one clan begins to grow stronger while another is facing dangers of dying. Rusty is a housecat, curious about the clans. He begins to explore and finds that he is worthy to become part of a clan after showing great fighting prowess. He then becomes Firepaw. As an adult I struggled to stay interested in the story but felt the way Hunter built this cat kingdom was excellent. I understand how it grabs my upper elementary students. ( )
  Kate.K | Jul 27, 2021 |
A bit too juvenile for my taste. Lots of senseless (cat) killings, but left plenty of conflicts open for the series to continue. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
"For generations, four Clans of wild cats have shared the forest according to the laws laid down by their warrior ancestors. But the ThunderClan cats are in grave danger, and the sinister ShadowClan grows stronger every day. Noble warriors are dying-- and some deaths are more mysterious than others. In the midst of this turmoil appears an ordinary house cat named Rusty . . . who may turn out to be the bravest warrior of them all."

I read this book so many times as a child that it eventually fell apart. This book, and the series (multiple series at that) is amazing. It transports readers into a hidden world of wild cats in four distinct clans. Following Rusty on his coming-of-age journey was a big part of my own coming of age. I learned you can face any danger knowing you have the support of friends and family who stick by your side through thick and thin. I learned about loyalty and betrayal as well. Animal fantasy has always been a captivating sub-genre for me, as I've always loved animals. I spent years playing out this novel in games with my sister or best friend who also loved these books. Children need a break from reality just as much as adults, and this book does the job exceedingly well.

Genre: Fantasy
Sub-Genre: Animal Fantasy ( )
  briana_gagnon | Jun 10, 2021 |
A fun Exciting, and a definitely good book, even though it's a bit violent. ( )
  TheTrekkie | May 21, 2021 |

Erin Hunterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vesterås, LisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Billy - who left our Twoleg home to become a Warrior. We still miss him very much. And for Benjamin, his brother, who is with him now in StarClan. Special thanks to Kate Cary.
A half-moon glowed on smooth granite boulders, turning them silver.
"Suddenly, a flash of gray raced past him. Rusty stopped still, listening. It was hiding in the leaves two tail-lengths away. Rusty knew it was a mouse--he could feel the rapid pulsing of a tiny heartbeat deep within his ear fur. He swallowed, stifling his rumbling stomach. Soon his hunger would be satisfied.

AR 5.6; Pts 10

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,970,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible