Spell Bound

by F. T. Lukens

Fantasy. Humor (Fiction.) Young Adult Fiction. LGBTQIA+ (Fiction.) HTML:An instant New York Times bestseller!

Two rival apprentice sorcerers must team up to save their teachers and protect their own magic in this "charming and engaging" (School Library Journal) young adult romantic adventure from the author of In Deeper Waters and So This Is Ever After.
Edison Rooker isn't sure what to expect when he enters the office of Antonia Hex, the powerful sorceress who runs a call center for magical emergencies. He doesn't have much experience with hexes or curses. Heck, he doesn't even have magic. But he does have a planā??to regain the access to the magical world he lost when his grandmother passed.

Antonia is...intimidating, but she gives him a job and a new nameā??Rookā??both of which he's happy to accept. Now all Rook has to do is keep his Spell Binder, an illegal magical detection device, hidden from the Magical Consortium. And contend with Sun, the grumpy and annoyingly cute apprentice to Antonia's rival colleague, Fable. But dealing with competition isn't so bad; as Sun seems to pop up more and more, Rook minds less and less.

But when the Consortium gets wind of Rook's Spell Binder, they come for Antonia. All alone, Rook runs to the only other magical person he knows: Sun. Except Fable has also been attacked, and now Rook and Sun have no choice but to work together to get their mentors back...or face losing their magic
… (more)

* I got this book for review*
Def a new favorite by this author!! I really loved the world and this book also loved the duel POV. I really loved the plot of this read. I would rec reading this bok withut the summry cause the plot twists were bit spoiled but this book was just a fun time and cute romance that worked for me! I would loved to see more stories set in this world. Loved the various lbtq rep in this book and also really enjoyed the found family element that developed throughout this read!! ( )
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
* I got this book for review*
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
Edison Rooker wants to gain access to the magical world, he's an orphan with a plan. He's also a genius who has invented something that can see magic streams and if the magical world finds it there will be hell to pay. They're also quite adept and can use a computer. He approaches a powerful sorceress Antonia Hex and impresses her with his ability to organise his office (except for the door mat, no-one can organise that mat) he finds himself working with Sun the unsunny apprentice to Antonia's greatest rival. Edison and Sun have to team together to keep their masters from being in deeper trouble.
It was a fun read with several great characters that I would love to have a chat with. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 16, 2023 |
4.5 / 5 ā­ļøā€˜s

"Spell Bound" by F.T. Lukens

This was a fun YA story filled with magic, adventure, and a touch of romance. The story follows two apprentice sorcerers, Rook and Sun, who are forced to put aside their rivalry and work together to save their mentors and protect their own magic.

Rook's journey from a non-magical outsider to a skilled sorcerer is compelling, and Sun's tough exterior masks a vulnerability that makes for an endearing character.

The romantic subplot between Rook and Sun adds an extra layer of tension to the story, and I loved watching their relationship evolve over the course of the story.

Out 4/4/2023!

This ARC was provided by @netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  thisgayreads | Nov 4, 2023 |
This was pretty fun! The romance especially was very believable, our two main characters were sweet, interesting, and well-matched, and I enjoyed the humor. I thought a bit more could have gone into the world building, the effects of magic on this world, and the development of all the other charactersā€”all to say I'd be willing to read more! ( )
  bibliovermis | Apr 4, 2023 |

F. T. Lukensprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cihi, NeoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO ANYONE WHO FEELS LIKE

THEY DON'T QUITE FIT:

MAYBE IT'S TIME TO BREAK THE MOLD.
Hex-A-Gone.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,012,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible