Divine Rivals: A Novel (Letters of…

Divine Rivals: A Novel (Letters of Enchantment, 1) (edition 2023)

by Rebecca Ross (Author)

Fantasy. Romance. Historical Fiction. Young Adult Fiction. HTML:

When two young rival journalists find love through a magical connection, they must face the depths of hell, in a war among gods, to seal their fate forever.
After centuries of sleep, the gods are warring again. But eighteen-year-old Iris Winnow just wants to hold her family together. Her mother is suffering from addiction and her brother is missing from the front lines. Her best bet is to win the columnist promotion at the Oath Gazette.
To combat her worries, Iris writes letters to her brother and slips them beneath her wardrobe door, where they vanish??into the hands of Roman Kitt, her cold and handsome rival at the paper. When he anonymously writes Iris back, the two of them forge a connection that will follow Iris all the way to the front lines of battle: for her brother, the fate of mankind, and love.
Shadow and Bone meets Lore in Rebecca Ross's Divine Rivals, an epic enemies-to-lovers fantasy novel filled with hope and heartbreak, and the unparalleled power of love.… (more)

Member:Maggie90
Title:Divine Rivals: A Novel (Letters of Enchantment, 1)
Authors:Rebecca Ross (Author)
Info:Wednesday Books (2023), 368 pages

Work Information

Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross

“yeah, it was good!” said in the way you say to people you know are obsessed with something but you don’t want to be mean by crushing their happy vibe ( )
  gojosatoru98 | Mar 1, 2024 |
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in Letters of Enchantment series. I borrowed this on ebook through Kindle Unlimited..

Thoughts: I ended up really loving this book. I wasn't certain what this was going to be about and was pleasantly surprised how quickly I grew to love the characters and how fast I feel right into this unique fantasy world.

The story changes POV between Winnow and Roman. Winnow is desperate to make it as a columnist at a local paper company, The Oath Gazette. Her great competition at the paper is Roman. Winnow is struggling with a missing brother and a mother with an addiction and finds solace in the letters she writes that disappear through a magical wardrobe. Roman is struggling with an overbearing father and a forced marriage and is receiving these letters from Winnow (unknown to Winnow).

I loved the characters here. You feel for both Winnow and Roman right away and are really drawn in to their stories. I was surprised by how quickly I engaged with them and how desperately I wanted things to go right for them.

I also absolutely loved the world here. The world has a very WWI vibe to it with people being called off to war. There are guns and vehicles and newspapers and electricity. However, the unique twist is people are being called to support different sides of a war between gods. There are also remnants of magical objects throughout that work that add a magical touch to things.

I think a lot of what propelled me through this story is the deep relationship that Winnow and Roman form through their letters and the way the world is falling apart around them.

The writing was effortless to read and the pacing was fast and consistent throughout. I think my only small complaint is that I really did not like how this book ended. However, I went in knowing that this is a duology and many times the end of the first book can be a bit of a downer in a duology.

My Summary (5/5): Overall I really loved this first book in the Letters of Enchantment series. I loved the amazing characters, the relationships they form, the intriguing world, and the unexpected magic sprinkled throughout. I would recommend to those who enjoy historical fantasy romances set in a WWI like era. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 29, 2024 |
What an agonizing ending. Thanks, Ross ( )
  hannerwell | Feb 24, 2024 |
I liked this book (enough that I will read the second) but didn’t love it. As a few others have said, this is a romance story (sweet and not hot) for the most part with a sprinkle of fantasy mentioned. It strangely did feel like a WW 1 or 2 setting rather than anything fantastical, with reporters using typewriters and ladies wearing skirts and heels. With that said, I did enjoy the letters exchanged back and forth and the feisty Iris. I did want to keep reading throughout the book and am planning on reading the next in the series. More wyverns and gods? Yes, please. ( )
  slittleson | Feb 2, 2024 |
Five Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
So, so good! I am a huge fan of Rebecca Ross.🙌 I have read all of her books and I own ALL of them! #fangirl 🤣 The Queen’s Rising (her debut series) is still one of my favorite series and fantasy worlds. Also, she has clean romance which is hard to find in YA books.

Divine Rivals is a big win for me. Like her other books this story is extremely unique and unlike any other fantasy I’ve read before. The story follows the MC‘s, Iris and Roman, whom are rival journalist competing for a coveted position at the Oath Gazette. These rivaling journalist have magic typewriters (of which only 3 exist), yes, MAGIC TYPEWRITERS, so cool, and they find themselves reporting on the front lines of an escalating war between gods. Ross is really good about creating worlds that include a nod to Greek mythology yet are unique in their own right. The world almost feels like WW1 vibes but it also has gods and laylines where magic exists. It actually reminds me a little bit of Julie Berry’s, Lovely War novel in the sense that gods and mortals coexist. Anyhow, the writing is beautiful, especially the letters between the MC’s… so endearing, I just love them.❤️ The ending had me like 💔😳. So grateful that I didn’t read this sooner and I can jump right into the final book of the series!

So many favorite quotes:

“… But I know what it feels like to lose someone you love. To feel as if you were left behind or like your life is in shambles, and there’s no guidebook to tell you how to stitch it back together.” 💔

“But time will slowly heal you, as it is doing for me. There are good days and there are difficult days. Your grief will never fully fade; it will always be with you--a shadow you carry in your soul--but it will become fainter as your life becomes brighter. You will learn to live outside of it again, as impossible as that may sound. Others who share your pain will also help you heal. Because you are not alone. Not in your fear or your grief or your hopes or your dreams. You are not alone.” 💔

“It takes courage to let down your armor, to welcome people to see you as you are. Sometimes I feel the same as you: I can’t risk having people behold me as I truly am. But there’s also a small voice in the back of my mind, a voice that tells me, “You will miss so much by being so guarded.”

“I don't think you realize how strong you are, because sometimes strength isn't swords and steel and fire, as we are so often made to believe. Someimes it's found in quiet, gentle places.”

“You don’t know what’s coming in the days ahead, but you’re doing just fine. You are so much stronger than you think, than you feel. Don’t be afraid. Keep going.”

― Rebecca Ross ( )
  Bookwoman0212 | Jan 30, 2024 |
It is one of the best published book that I had ever read, The gods are at battle once more after sleeping for millennia. However, Iris Winnow, who is eighteen, only wants to keep her family together. Her brother is absent from the front lines, and her mother battles addiction. Her greatest chance is to get promoted to columnist at the Oath Gazette.

Iris sends letters to her brother to distract herself from her anxieties, and she conceals them under her wardrobe door, where they end up in the hands of Roman Kitt, her chilly but attractive competition at the paper. He writes Iris back in secret, and the two of them create a bond that will accompany Iris to the front lines of conflict—for love, the future of humanity, and her brother.

added by puravjha07 | editKindle

Belongs to Series

Write me of hope and love, and hearts that endured.
—EMILY DICKINSON
For Isabel Ibañez,
who read this book as I wrote it,
who convinced me to add Roman's POV,
& who occasionally lets me get away with things.

P.S. I'm talking about Chapter 34.
Cold fog had settled over the depot like a burial shroud, and Iris Winnow thought the weather couldn't have been better.

Fantasy. Romance. Historical Fiction. Young Adult Fiction. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,138,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible