100 Best-Loved Poems by Philip Smith

100 Best-Loved Poems (original 1995; edition 2012)

by Philip Smith (Editor)

Overview: Popular, well-known poetry: "The Passionate Shepherd to His Love," "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" "Death, be not proud," "The Raven," "The Road Not Taken," plus works by Blake, Wordsworth, Byron, Coleridge, Shelley, Emerson, Browning, Keats, Kipling, Sandburg, Pound, Auden, Thomas, and many others. Includes 13 selections from the Common Core State Standards Initiative: "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening," "Fog," "Chicago," "Jabberwocky," "O Captain! My Captain!" "The Road Not Taken," "Musee des Beaux Arts," "Ozymandias," "Sonnet 73," "The Raven," "Because I Could Not Stop for Death," "Ode on a Grecian Urn," and "The River Merchant's Wife: A Letter."… (more)
Member:Marytudor
Title:100 Best-Loved Poems
Authors:Philip Smith
Info:Dover Publications, Kindle Edition, 96 pages
Tags:currently-reading

100 Best-Loved Poems by Philip Smith (Editor) (1995)

A good selection of poems covering 600 years. Of course, not everyone's best-loved poem or poet will be included, but it covers many styles of poetry. The poets in this collection are all English speaking which leaves many out many great poets and their work. Dover collections tend to be introductions to the subject or author they cover. Readers who regularly read poetry or already have their favorites will find this collection very incomplete. However, for those interested in poetry this is a great introduction. I like it as an ebook because I can keep it on my phone and randomly read a good poem anytime. ( )
  evil_cyclist | Mar 16, 2020 |
Christopher Marlowe has me awed about his poetry. He was killed at a very young age of 29 which I shall be soon. So his poetry felt terribly personal to me. Also, I am a big Shakespeare buff.
Marlowe in a deliciously lovely poem titled The Passionate Shepherd to his Love asks her in a simple line to,
Come live with me and be my Love
It sounds almost ethereal and enchanting in a voice that I read in and imagine to be Marlowe's. A deep, resonating baritone which when heard melts even the most hardened hearts. I particularly love the simple imagery he describes about sitting on rocks and seeing the shepherds feed their flocks. I am so very deeply smitten with Marlowe's words.

Also, this collection has a lovely composition of ballads. Poems from most of my favorite poets like Cummings, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Yeats, Pound, Marianne Moore, Dylan Thomas have been included and for this reason, this book is definitely a little special. Nothing like reading Dylan Thomas on a rainy night. ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
This book is a great collection of classic poetic works! It's great for introducing someone to most popular poets and their works. This edition also has plenty of marginal room for annotating. ( )
  bcd128 | Sep 26, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading the poem because it was something new to experience. The poem talked about different races and how we should come together. I am very excited that I had the opportunity to read this poem.
  Nasheema16 | Sep 25, 2016 |
I enjoyed this short collection of poetry by a fairly wide variety of poets. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Not to be confused with 100 Best Loved Poems
(1968) edited by J. Danson Smith

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,598,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible