A Good Man is Hard to Find (A Women's Press…

A Good Man is Hard to Find (A Women's Press classic) (original 1955; edition 2001)

by Flannery O'Connor (Author)

Flannery O'Connor's vision of life is expressed through grotesque, often comic situations in which the principal character faces a problem of salvation: the grandmother, in the title story, confronting the murderous Misfit; a neglected four-year-old boy looking for the Kingdom of Christ in the fast-flowing waters of the river; General Sash, about to meet the final enemy.… (more)
Member:stephen99
Title:A Good Man is Hard to Find (A Women's Press classic)
Authors:Flannery O'Connor (Author)
Info:The Women's Press Ltd (2001), Edition: New edition, 256 pages

Work Information

A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor (1955)

Recently added bydjlinick, jstruzzi, reelbigschmidt, private library, COACH312, JessCad, ADMeaux, HelgaG.

See above. ( )
  CodyMaxwellBooks | Oct 30, 2021 |
O'Connor is a master of the short story but I find the South she writes about to so dark and creepy. ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
Wise Blood was great. This had some good stories (in my opinion) but others were so so. ( )
  jaydenmccomiskie | Sep 27, 2021 |
This book wasn't for me, unfortunately. I liked the clever dialogue, but found I disliked the rest of the writing, found it to be boring or repetitive. I can't say much without spoilers, but I got the impression the author had a trauma in life and just retold her trauma over and over with different characters but same theme. So, the first time I read a story I enjoyed it, then after that, reading another story felt predictable and boring. To be clear, I only read a couple of random stories, including "A Good Man is Hard to Find", then got bored and didn't finish the book, so my review is based off only the stories I did read. ( )
  krissyzzz | Aug 24, 2021 |
These ten short stories by a master of the form explore human nature through her characters and their interactions, often with an unsettling ending.

Unsettling is, in fact, a pretty good term for the whole of the book. As many who have gone before me have observed and probably stated more eloquently than me, O'Connor's work is informed by her Catholic faith, and certainly none of her characters come out looking particularly "good" in the end. The ones we're supposedly rooting for often turn out to be unlovely or unjust. If there are Black characters, they are the objects of racism or stereotypes such as the "lazy" farm workers. But also, the stories are well-crafted, perfect encapsulated in the length they are (usually about 20-30 pages, though the last one is longer), and generally left me wanting to look up literary criticism on them because I could tell there were symbols and meaning I'd missed on the first read through. ( )
  bell7 | Aug 15, 2021 |
For Sally and Robert Fitzgerald
The grandmother didn't want to go to Florida.
She would have been a good woman if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life.
...an end that would be welcome because it would be the end.

This is the book that established Flannery O'Connor as a master of the short story and one of the most original and provocative writers to emerge from the South. Her apocalyptic vision of life is expressed through grotesque, often comic, situations in which the principal character faces a problem of salvation: the grandmother, in the title story, confronting the murderous Misfit; a neglected four-year-old boy looking for the Kingdom of Christ in the fast-flowing waters of the river; General Sash, about to meet the final enemy.
"The Displaced Person," the story of an outsider who destroys the balance of life between blacks and whites on a small Southern farm, has been adapted into a powerful drama for television.

Legacy Library: Flannery O'Connor

Flannery O'Connor has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Flannery O'Connor's legacy profile.

See Flannery O'Connor's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,957,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible