The Coming of Age (1970)

by Simone de Beauvoir

What do the words elderly, old, and aged really mean? How are they used by society, and how in turn do they define the generation that we are taught to respect and love but instead castigate and avoid? Most importantly, how is our treatment of this generation a reflection of our society's values and priorities?In The Coming of Age, Simone de Beauvoir seeks greater understanding of our perception of elders. With bravery, tenacity, and forceful honesty, she guides us on a study spanning a thousand years and a variety of different nations and cultures to provide a clear and alarming picture of "Society's secret shame"--the separation and distance from our communities that the old must suffer and endure.… (more)

Spanish (2)  English (1)  All languages (3)
zu viele beispiele, zu wenige grundsätzliche fragestellungen und tiefgründige auseinandersetzungen. dazu muss ich fairerweise sagen, dass nicht nur zu der zeit (1970) sich kaum einer über-das-alter-schreiben traute, und dafür - cheapeau, madame de beauvoir. gute recherche, viel hintergrundwissen, leidenschaftliche intelligenz. ( )
  flydodofly | Jun 13, 2011 |

Simone de Beauvoirprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Brian, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,467,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible