HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Great LGBTQ Speeches: Empowering Voices That…

Great LGBTQ Speeches: Empowering Voices That Engage And Inspire (original 2020; edition 2022)

by Tea Uglow (Author)

612,422,039 (4)None
Discover the inspiring voices that have changed our world, and started a new conversation.   A sister title to Great Women's Speeches (2021), and the pocket edition of Loud and Proud (2020), Great Queer Speeches is a pioneering collection of over 40 empowering and influential speeches that chart the history of the LGBTQ+ movement. Photocollage portraits and enlightening commentaries accompany the words of Audre Lorde, Harvey Milk, Munroe Bergdorf, Sir Elton John and more. Together these speakers touch on all aspects of LGBTQ+ life from equal marriage to the AIDS crisis, bullying to parenthood, the first 19th century campaigns through to trans rights allyship today. We are stronger when we stand together, and this collection from award-winning activist Tea Uglow encourages us to do just that whilst celebrating the beauty of our differences.   Pour through a pioneering collection of talks, declarations and lectures, from people whose voices have too often been marginalised and the allies that support them;  Find over 40 empowering and influential speeches that chart the history of the LGBTQ+ movement up to the present day;  Each speech is presented with a striking photographic portrait and an insightful introduction, offering essential context, fresh insights and a nuanced understanding that brings each character and their words to life.  The voices: Audre Lorde; Harvey Milk; Munroe Bergdorf; Sir Elton John; Sir Ian McKellen; George Takei; Sylvia Rivera; Bayard Rustin; Elizabeth Toledo; Alison Bechdel; Loretta E. Lynch; Hanne Gaby Odiele; Vito Russo; Tammy Baldwin; Hillary Rodham Clinton; Barak Obama; Senator Karl Heinrich Ulrichs; Robert G. Ingersoll; Theodora Ana Sprungli; Franklin "Frank" Kameny; Sally Gearhart; Harry Hay; Sue Hyde; Mary Fisher; Essex Hemphill; Simon Nkoli; Urvashi Vaid; Eric Rofes; Justice Michael Kirby; Evan Wolfson; Paul Martin; Ian Hunter; Dan Savage and Terry Miller; Rabbi Kleinbaum; Penny Wong; Arsham Parsi; Anna Grodzka; Debi Jackson; Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir; Lee Mokobe; Ban Ki-moon; Geraldine Roman; Cecilia Chung; Olly Alexander.  … (more)
Member:Rich-D
Title:Great LGBTQ Speeches: Empowering Voices That Engage And Inspire
Authors:Tea Uglow (Author)
Info:White Lion Publishing (2022), Edition: 1, 176 pages
Collections:Books

Work Information

Great LGBTQ Speeches: Empowering Voices That Engage And Inspire by Tea Uglow (2020)

Great LGBTQ+ Speeches from Tea Uglow and illustrated by Jack Holland is a very nice collection of speeches that span both history and objectives.

These are excerpts (of course, most speeches are fairly long and by necessity meander a bit) that highlight some of the most powerful statements of LGBTQ+ rights, and by extension human rights. Each speech is preceded by a brief introduction of both the person and the historical context of the speech.

While I tend to be one of those readers who turn most books into multimedia affairs, Uglow suggests looking up some of these that are available to either watch, listen to, or read in their entirety. I would absolutely second that suggestion. There are a couple that I am still looking to find the full text of, and I will succeed, I just may have to dig a little deeper.

Though I am interested in reading a few of these as complete texts, the excerpts have been chosen very well. There are powerful moments. Some may make you a little sad before getting fired up. Some may make you start looking for how to make a difference right now. Some may even make you see the person and/or the time period a little differently. Hopefully they all generate a desire to find ways to begin or extend one's activism. Times may be changing but change isn't always unidirectional, so we have to keep pushing it the way we want.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Aug 5, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,957,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible