Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by…

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (original 1972; edition 2001)

by Roald Dahl

Member:frodo9704
Title:Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
Authors:Roald Dahl
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2001), Hardcover, 176 pages

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (1972)

2.5 A let down for me after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Wish they made a movie about this!!!! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
In the sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, author Roald Dahl picks up right where he left off. Literally. The book begins with the old ones still in their bed and the bed itself being squeezed into the Great Glass Elevator. From there a madcap adventure starts, shooting them into outer space where they orbit the earth, battle an alien race, and rescue a commuter space shuttle all before returning the Chocolate Factory itself. Of course this isn't the end of the adventure, it is merely the beginning.

While my son and I enjoyed this second book, it wasn't quite as amusing and charming as the original. There was a lot of bickering that really annoyed me and took away from the likability of the Bucket family, though Charlie ever remains sweet and above it all. I don't feel that it is at all necessary to read this follow-up, and I dare say you might be better off leaving it be. That said it was still fun to read with my son, and we will certainly be reading more of the fantastical tales of Roald Dahl. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
charming and well written. great childrens book. funny. ( )
  jodiesohl | Sep 21, 2015 |
Unable to read; Charlie & the family are flying in the great glass elevator through space and onto weird fictional planets--ugh! ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOr my daughters Tessa Ophelia Lucy and for my godson Edmund Pollinger
The last time we saw Charlie, he was riding high above his home town in the Great Glass Elevator.

Who'd ever think a poor British boy would ever go to space, ride in an incredible glass elevator, or even have an negative two year old grandmother! These are only a few of the many challenges Charlie will face. You can pick up where the first book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, left off. Join Charlie, his four grandparents, his parents, and of course, Mr. Wonka for an unforgettable story readers of all ages will love!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410322, Paperback)

Picking right up where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory left off, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator continues the adventures of Charlie Bucket, his family, and Willy Wonka, the eccentric candy maker. As the book begins, our heroes are shooting into the sky in a glass elevator, headed for destinations unknown. What follows is exactly the kind of high-spirited magical madness and mayhem we've all come to expect from Willy Wonka and his creator Roald Dahl. The American space race gets a send-up, as does the President, and Charlie's family gets a second chance at childhood. Throw in the Vermicious Knids, Gnoolies, and Minusland and we once again witness pure genius. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:54 -0400)

Taking up where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory leaves off, Charlie, his family, and Mr. Wonka find themselves launched into space in the great glass elevator.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322691, 0141807806, 0141333170

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible