The Republic of Thieves: The Gentleman…

The Republic of Thieves: The Gentleman Bastard Sequence, Book 3 (edition 2014)

by Scott Lynch (Author)

Member:LexieS17
Title:The Republic of Thieves: The Gentleman Bastard Sequence, Book 3
Authors:Scott Lynch (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2014), 704 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:grimdark fantasy, high fantasy, coming of age fantasy, assassin fantasy, heroic fantasy, anti-hero fantasy, gritty fantasy, adult epic fantasy, adult dark fantasy, sword and sorcery, magic fantasy

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

Real rating 4.5 stars. ( )
  CaptainBookamir | Mar 11, 2019 |
I can't possibly write any sort of review for this book without massive spoilers, so I'm not going to try. Just as a bit of a warning, there's one plot twist mid-book here that was so absolutely ridiculous it nearly made me stop reading out of annoyance (it's literally that bad), but there was just so much else to love in this book that I can't really say that it's inferior to the first novel in the series- in fact, it was far more entertaining than the second, even taking that twist into account.

Sabetha ("The Woman") is just an amazing character, that's all that matters. ( )
  LysanderMSND | Jan 19, 2019 |
I didnt like this one as much as the first but more than the second. The switching between timelines kept me always in suspense of what was happening in the other world. ( )
  tgrosinger | Dec 31, 2018 |
When I read and reviewed the second book in this series, Red Seas over Red Skies, I could not hide some disappointment in what I perceived as a slackening of the pace and rhythm after book 1, The Lies of Locke Lamora, one of the best discoveries I made in the recent past. Well, I am happy to state that with this third installment Scott Lynch has returned to the levels of intensity and reader involvement I enjoyed with the series’ opener.

FULL REVIEW at Space and Sorcery Blog
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
I think this one is more of a four-and-a-half, but I'm fine rounding up. As you can tell from other reviews here, this one doesn't have as much fan love as the previous two. It's way messier, and its shift to focus more on romance and politics is a little jarring after the con / swashbuckling aspects of the previous novels. There's a TON of emotional depth, and the lengthy take on Locke and Sabetha's relationship is wonderfully written. As with the previous stories, there are a few timeline-jumping plot arcs. I actually found the flashback storyline--with Locke and the Bastards working to stage the titular play--much more interesting than Jean and Locke's political maneuvering, which is why I didn't give this a full five stars (like the previous books in the series). Though I think a re-read might make me appreciate it more.

And man, the ending...yikes. What a cliffhanger to end on. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carre, BenjaminCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jason McCray,
one man who in his time
has played many parts.
Place ten dozen hungry orphan thieves in a dank burrow of vaults and tunnels beneath what used to be a graveyard, put them under the supervision of one partly crippled old man, and you will soon find that governing them becomes a delicate business.

After their adventures on the high seas, Locke and Jean are brought back to earth with a thump. Jean is mourning the loss of his lover and Locke must live with the fallout of crossing the all-powerful magical assassins the Bonds Magi. It is a fall-out that will pit both men against Locke's own long lost love. Sabetha is Locke's childhood sweetheart, the love of Locke's life and now it is time for them to meet again. Employed on different sides of a vicious dispute between factions of the Bonds Sabetha has just one goal - to destroy Locke for ever. The Gentleman Bastard sequence has become a literary sensation in fantasy circles and now, with the third book, Scott Lynch is set to seal that success.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:40 -0400)

A latest installment in the popular series that includes Red Seas Under Red Skies finds con man Locke Lamora's latest scrapes with fellow Gentleman Bastard Jean Tannen giving way to an increasingly audacious resolve to have an incredibly good time while robbing the world blind. With what should have been the greatest heist of their career gone spectacularly sour, Locke and his trusted partner, Jean, have barely escaped with their lives.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,199,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible