The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

The Republic of Thieves (edition 2013)

by Scott Lynch

After their adventures on the high seas, Locke and Jean are brought back to earth with a thump. Jean is mourning the loss of his lover and Locke must live with the fallout of crossing the all-powerful magical assassins, the Bonds Magi. It is a fallout that will pit both men against Locke's own long-lost love. Sabetha is Locke's childhood sweetheart, the love of Locke's life and now it is time for them to meet again. Employed on different sides of a vicious dispute between factions of the Bonds, Sabetha has just one goal - to destroy Locke for ever. The Gentleman Bastard sequence has become a literary sensation in fantasy circles and now, with the third book, Scott Lynch is set to seal that success.… (more)
Member:squirblej
Title:The Republic of Thieves
Authors:Scott Lynch
Info:Gollancz (2013), Paperback, 488 pages

Work Information

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

This is the best book in the series so far in terms of structure. The time spent between the past and the present was well balanced and organized. That said, this book lacks an interesting plot. I couldn't care less about most of the things that were happening. However, that wasn't the point of the book. This book was mainly about the relationship between Locke and Sabetha and if someone is not interested in those characters they probably won't really like this. Fortunately for me I really like how complex these characters are. Sabetha annoyed me sometimes, but I ended up liking her and I find her interesting.

I wanted to see Chains reaction when the gentleman bastards got back from their little adventure, but that never happened. They were sent to help a guy from ending up in prison and that guy ended up in a worse situation than he was in the beginning... and no one mentioned anything about it. The way the gentleman bastards learned how to work together was also quite interesting. I guess their mission wasn't a complete failure.

There were some confusing revelations and I still think Patience and the bondsmagi don't make a lot of sense. The ending of the book gave me hope for the future of the series because I always felt like the bondsmagi had potential to be much more interesting and more of a challenge for the main characters and it frustrated me that nothing bad really happened involving them after the 1st book.

Overall, it is a good book but the slowest one so far and it's mainly foccused on Sabetha and Locke (which means the plot is a bit weak and there isn't much about Jean or any other characters). ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
Skemmtileg hryllingsfantasía um þá félaga Locke og Jean. Þessar húmorísku en um leið myrku fantasíur eftir Lynch snúast mikið um plott og undirbúning félaganna þegar þeir glíma við harðvítuga andstæðinga. Nú er þeim hins vegar att gegn fyrrum félaga og æskuást Lockes. Við kynnumst allvel forsögu þeirra og fáum innsýn í uppruna Lockes sjálfs en hann hefur alltaf átt sér dularfullt upphaf. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
This continues to be an excellent epic fantasy series. Yes, that is one messed up love affair, but oh, the swashbuckling, conniving and derring-do make up for a lot. Where to now, Mr. Lynch, where to now? ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I am torn on this one. It's very good. But it is certainly not as good as the first book in the series, and I may even like it less than the second. I would have liked to have given 3.5 stars.

It's well written and imaginative, and is set in a fully realized world.

But I came for the machinations and cons. And those were not as strong this time out.

And, alas, it seems that the lead male and female characters from Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles wandered into the book with their relationship being front and center. Oh, why oh why can't these two communicate? Why oh why does our heroine inexplicably and irrationally turn away from our hero? It's just not that interesting.

And the play within the book takes up too much real estate and is simply not that compelling.

The election game is fun, but I wanted more political machinations laid out.

Unfortunately, the relationship between Locke and Sabetha is what this book is really about, and that's just not that interesting.

That said, the storyline involving the mages plays out well and creates some very interesting possibilities going forward.

It's hard to complain about this book. It is very good. But, I think the bar was set so high early on that it's simply difficult to meet expectations.

The audiobook narration by Michael Page remains excellent.

Joe901 | Nov 2, 2021 |
Wow! These Gentlemen Bastard books have been great - I've just read the 3 published so far all back-to-back, and they are just amazing. The plotting is so intricate and precise. The humor is a good level, nicely balanced against the more serious aspects. The gore and depravity... well, very gory and depraved, but definitely not a large part of the book.
Looks like I've got another long wait until the next book ala [a:Rothfuss|108424|Patrick Rothfuss|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1351307341p2/108424.jpg] ala [a:Martin|346732|George R.R. Martin|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1351944410p2/346732.jpg]... oh well... ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carre, BenjaminCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jason McCray,
one man who in his time
has played many parts.
Place ten dozen hungry orphan thieves in a dank burrow of vaults and tunnels beneath what used to be a graveyard, put them under the supervision of one partly crippled old man, and you will soon find that governing them becomes a delicate business.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,979,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible