God Bless John Wayne by Kinky Friedman

God Bless John Wayne (1995)

by Kinky Friedman

219None53,328 (3.67)10

It won't make me popular around here, but... I've been a big fan of Don Imus and his radio show since I discovered it during my junior high years. To get this out of the way now, I am not crazy, nor am I a racist, okay?

Anyway, one of the I-Man's frequent guests over the years has been his good friend Kinky Friedman. In between country music projects and running for Governor in Texas, Kinky is something of an author, and would always plug his latest novel on the Imus radio show. I never read one until recently, but I always figured I should get around to it at some point since the Kinkster makes me laugh my head off when he's on the radio.

And what can I say? The Kinkster made me laugh my head off on the couch as I read this book. As a private detective, Kinky is like a twisted, snarky version of Marlowe mixed with a little bit of that dry humor I loved in Jim Rockford. The plot may be lacking a bit, yes, but it's just the way Kinky writes that kept me turning the pages rapidly. The manner in which he describes certain things really struck a chord with me: how damn cold it gets in the Northeast during the winter, or how ridiculous some people can make themselves look in a fancy restaurant, or how one can have murderous thoughts first thing in the morning until they get that first cup of coffee in them -- all things I related to, all written in a laugh out loud style.

However, as a person who recently acquired a cat in my life, it was Kinky's interaction with his feline companion that really did it for me. I thought I was the only person on the planet who spoke to my cat in a conversational manner. After reading a Kinky book, I now know I'm not alone. ( )
  OrkCaptain | Feb 16, 2009 |
To my kid sister Marcie
IT WAS RAINING COOL CATS AND KOSHER HOT DOGS IN THE city that afternoon and things weren't getting any sunnier as the cat looked over my shoulder at me looking over my bank statement.

Kinky Friedman agrees to help his pal, Ratso, find his birth mother, but all is not what it seems. First, Ratso's parentage seems linked to a warehouse full of secrets that nobody, including Ratso, will live long enough to talk about.

The Kinkster takes on a case to find the birth mother of Ratso.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible