Martin the Warrior: A Novel of Redwall by…

Martin the Warrior: A Novel of Redwall (edition 1999)

by Brian Jacques (Author)

Captured and enslaved by the corsair stoat Badrang, young mouse warrior Martin vows to end the evil beast's plundering and killing.
Member:JoeFieldWriter
Title:Martin the Warrior: A Novel of Redwall
Authors:Brian Jacques (Author)
Info:Ace Books (1999), Edition: 1st, 376 pages

Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques

Magyk by Angie Sage (forest-mage)
    forest-mage: the same sort of adventure is there but there isnt much fighting

This was the first book that I actually read from Brian Jacques and it sent me down the path of reading every book that I could by the author. I can't recommend this book enough it is very engaging and as such a Fantastical environment it'll be hard to put down for you as well. ( )
  teowarden | Aug 13, 2021 |
A great addition to the Redwall series, more of a prequel, before the Abbey even existed. Any fan of the series should know of Martin by now. The story has conflict, romance, adventure, and incredible characters. All these elements, combined with a fantastic ending, make this a story enjoyable to readers of all ages. ( )
  hannahedupont | Aug 14, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I've read this book twice so far. The first time was during a camping trip when I was a teenager, and I remember closing the book at the end, holding it up to my chest, and thinking it was the perfect book for the setting (woods by the beach, so I'm not sure in retrospect what was so perfect). In my 20s, I was annoyed by rereads of other Redwall series books but grateful that Martin the Warrior had held up against nostalgia. ( )
  aspirit | Jun 15, 2019 |
One of the best of the Redwall stories - Martin's deep history, before he showed up at Redwall the first time. It's a nicely done adventure, it explains quite a bit about Martin (a lot of the plot holes in Mossflower), including why he didn't tell this story when he showed up. The usual species-is-destiny, of course, though there are variants (Brome is no fighter, unlike Martin, or Rose for that matter). Lots of interesting characters, and various adventures of a split party - Rose, Martin, Grumm the mole and Pallum the hedgehog encounter the Warden of the Marsh, Boldred, a band of crazy squirrels and some nearly as crazy shrews (actually, two groups of the latter). Meanwhile Brome and Felldoh meet the Rosehip Players, and more directly confront Badrang and Clogg at the fortress Marshank. Badrang beat Felldoh, really - broke him, though he regretted doing so before the end. There's actually quite a bit of depth to this - choices, and consequences. One of the reasons I rank this above most of the other Redwall books. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 21, 2017 |

Brian Jacquesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chalk, GaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Amid the deep white winter snow,
Sleeps Mossflow'r until spring,
While snug in Cavern Hole below,
All Redwall's creatures sing.
Old autumn gave us plenty,
Our harvest did not fail,
No plate nor jug is empty,
There's good October ale.
Dedicated to a true friend, Patricia Lee Gauch
Three young creatures, the otter twins Bagg and Runn, accompanied by Grubb, their molefriend, hauled a small beech log between them along the path to Redwall Abbey. (prologue)
He was only a young mouse, but of strong build, with a glint in his eye that proclaimed him a born fighter.

AR 5.5, Pts 14

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,175,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible