The stories of Ray Bradbury by Ray Bradbury

The stories of Ray Bradbury (edition 2010)

by Ray Bradbury, Christopher Buckley

624None15,532 (4.52)18
Member:gmenchen
Title:The stories of Ray Bradbury
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Other authors:Christopher Buckley
Info:London : Everyman, 2010.

The Stories of Ray Bradbury by Ray Bradbury

Probably my favorite single book of all time...this specific edition. No filler or lesser works in sight. Pure gold. ( )
  Evans-Light | Sep 30, 2013 |
what a great book. it's going to stay with me for a long time.

i particularly enjoyed The Emissary, Frost and Fire and The Better Part of Wisdom. ( )
  CesarDimitrio | Mar 31, 2013 |
Arthur C. Clarke once quipped that "Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories." I don't dispute that, but wouldn't recommend they begin with this volume.

This book contains 100 of Ray Bradbury's short stories, published between the 1940s and 1980; I only noted seven that I think are particularly worth reading again. For me, the stories largely lacked tension and mystery. I rarely liked the characters, which were introduced poorly: it would take too long to figure out what to make of them (was "Charlie" even a kid or an adult?) and most of the tales take several pages just to begin--fine for a novel, very bad for a 10-page story. Too often I couldn't tell what the conflict in or moral of a story was supposed to be and was left thinking, "What the heck did I just read?"

Note also that few of the stories in this collection are actually science fiction. Just as many are fantasy and a large number have no speculative elements at all (though none are westerns or detective stories). Two of my favorites, "The Leave-Taking" (about a dying grandmother's farewell lessons) and "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" (about six Hispanic men who each pony up $10 to buy a $60 suit to share) fall in this last category, dealing with quotidian affairs in a moving way. The science fiction stories are nothing special; Bradbury portrays life on Mars in the 21st century being exactly like life in 1950s America, both socially (the women are all June Cleaver housewives) and technologically (the telephone is the mainstay of communication).

The high point of this volume for me was the brilliant nine-page introductory essay by Christopher Buckley; it made me excited to read the stories that followed. Unfortunately, I didn't find that many particularly memorable. If you want to give it a go, in addition to the two mentioned above, my favorites were: "The Fox and the Forest", "Marionettes, Inc.", "A Sound of Thunder", "The Murderer", and "The Golden Kite, the Silver Wind." But I'd more highly recommend the short stories of Isaac Asimov, Philip K. Dick, and Arthur C. Clarke. Especially if you're a politician. ( )
  Jacob1207 | Mar 20, 2013 |
Ray Bradbury has always been a favorite of mine, his short stories are little treasures with high impact. I have always thought of him as a master of the short story and even though I have read many other great short stories by different authors, I stll believe him to be 'the' master. ( )
1 vote kpolhuis | Oct 6, 2010 |
This is the only library book I have ever considered stealing. I was 12, and I had checked the book out so many times it was nearly mine anyway. Everyman's Library is giving Bradbury his due as a great American writer by releasing a fancy new edition of this classic collection of stories, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Bradbury has mastered fantasy, science fiction and horror, and yet his stories are always his own. Try "The October Game," "The Lake" or "The Next in Line" for starters and see for yourself.
2 vote cassie67 | Apr 17, 2010 |
Do not combine with "Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Finest Tales", "Ray Bradbury Collected Short Stories", etc. They're all named similarly, but the selections in them are often quite different.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394513355, Hardcover)

The Stories of Ray Bradbury--a hundred of his best stories, selected by the author himself--is the definitive collection of one of the greatest fantasists the world has ever known. Published in 1980, the volume contains stories selected from the first four decades of Bradbury's career. There are his unique stories of Mars, which later landed in The Martian Chronicles. There are nostalgic stories of Green Town, Illinois, which Bradbury later brewed into Dandelion Wine. The treasures here also include his regional tales of Ireland and of rural Mexico, classic science fiction such as "The Fog Horn," and the rarely reprinted novella "Frost and Fire." Among the half dozen previously uncollected stories are a few of his earliest--and most terrifying. These include the unforgettable "October Game" (which the author regards as perhaps his most shocking story amongst the thousand that he's written), and "Black Ferris," later to be transformed into the classic Something Wicked This Way Comes. Bradbury also contributes a revealing and highly informative look back at his own career. If you can possess only one book by the legendary Ray Bradbury, this is it. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:50 -0400)

An imaginative group of stories that often bridge the gap between fantasy and science fiction. One hundred of Bradbury's science fiction, fantasy, horror, and midwestern short stories.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible