Financial Feminist: Overcome the…

Financial Feminist: Overcome the Patriarchy's Bullsh*t to Master Your Money and Build a Life You Love (edition 2022)

by Tori Dunlap (Author)

Business. Education. Finance. Nonfiction. HTML:

An instant New York Times bestseller

From the globally-recognized personal finance educator and social media star behind Her First $100K, an inclusive guide to all things money—from managing debt to investing and voting with your dollars

Tori Dunlap was always good with money. As a kid, she watched her prudent parents balance their checkbook every month and learned to save for musical tickets by gathering pennies in an Altoids tin. But she quickly discovered that her experience with money was pretty unusual, especially among her female friends.

It wasn't our fault. Investigating this financial literacy and wealth gap, Tori found that girls are significantly less likely to receive a holistic financial education; we're taught to restrain our spending, while boys are taught about investing and rewarded for pursuing wealth. In adulthood, women are hounded by the unfounded stereotype of the frivolous spenders whose lattes are to blame for the wealth gap. And when something like, say, a global pandemic happens, we're the first to have jobs cut and the last to re-enter the workforce. It's no wonder money is a source of anxiety and a barrier to equality for so many of us.

But what if money didn't mean restriction, and instead, choice? The ability to luxuriously travel, quit toxic jobs, donate to important organizations, retire early? The freedom to live the life you want, and change the world while you do it?

Tori founded Her First $100K to teach women to overcome the unique obstacles standing in the way of their financial freedom. In Financial Feminist, she distills the principles of her shame- and judgment-free approach to paying off debt, figuring out your value categories to spend mindfully, saving money without monk-like deprivation, and investing in order to spend your retirement tanning in Tulum.

You will learn:

- Exercises to help you understand your current relationship with money, figure out what you want to change, and how to make that happen

- How to decide on your investment goal, and discover the three steps to meeting it

- Learn how to source the data you need to negotiate the money you deserve

Featuring journaling prompts, deep-dives into the invisible aspects of the financial landscape, and interviews with experts on everything money—from predatory credit card companies to the racial wealth gap and voting with your dollars—Financial Feminist is the ultimate guide to making your money work harder for you (rather than the other way around.)

… (more)
Member:scarter23
Title:Financial Feminist: Overcome the Patriarchy's Bullsh*t to Master Your Money and Build a Life You Love
Authors:Tori Dunlap (Author)
Info:Dey Street Books (2022), 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Work Information

Financial Feminist: Overcome the Patriarchy's Bullsh*t to Master Your Money and Build a Life You Love by Tori Dunlap

Definitely reads like a promotion for her system, and I think a lot of the critical reviews are right -- centers white women, stereotypes who those white women are, buys into a lot of the patriarchal bullshit. That said, I like the writing style and the encouragement to act/educate myself. ( )
1 vote jennybeast | Jun 13, 2023 |
I’d never heard of this author but saw the book come up new in my library feed. I was initially skeptical because she’s so young, but after the introductory “duh” type info, she had some good insights and overviews of much needed information such as investing and how important it is.

As with most financial stuff, there’s a privilege that exists with even having any money to “do something with” that isn’t just surviving paycheck to paycheck; that part isn’t quite addressed here, but she does at least attempt to acknowledge some other areas of privilege.

I did finally listen to her on a podcast (as apparently she’s an influencer which makes sense for my not knowing her as I’m not on the socials really), and I appreciate that she acknowledged that most people can’t get where she is on a typical business company income; the thing about all these entrepreneurs is that they’ve come up with something to teach others and that’s where it’s hard to make the magic happen for yourself. ( )
1 vote spinsterrevival | May 15, 2023 |

Business. Education. Finance. Nonfiction. HTML:

An instant New York Times bestseller

You will learn:

- Learn how to source the data you need to negotiate the money you deserve

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,743,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible