Gathering, The by Anne Enright

Gathering, The (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Anne Enright (Author)

Veronica--once an attention-deprived middle child among 12 siblings, and now an unfulfilled wife and mother--has come to London to claim the body of her beloved yet estranged brother Liam who drowned himself at sea. As the nine surviving members of the Hegarty clan converge in Dublin for Liam's wake, Veronica wants to protect the past--and the secret of what transpired in her grandmother's house during the winter of 1968.… (more)
Member:hepzibah59
Title:Gathering, The
Authors:Anne Enright (Author)
Info:
Tags:Tablet 2019

The Gathering by Anne Enright (2007)

English (174)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  French (1)  All languages (184)
Far too much pedophilia. It icked me out so much that I could not actually finish. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
Veronica's brother has died after a long and troubling descent watched by herself and her siblings. She's resigned, her and her eight surviving siblings are coming together to their mother's house to hold the wake and go over all the emotional wreckage that comes to the surface in those times.

Veronica thinks a lot about Liam, but she thinks a lot more about herself, and those choices of her own that have led her to where she is, for better or for worse, with a husband and children and a house. She also thinks a lot about the sex her grandparents had and their friends. She imagines things, edits herself, comments on details shes made up whole cloth or pieced together from something else.

This is not a book I would normally have picked up, but I wanted to read something a little more contemporary. This was good. Enright's style was easy to read, but conveyed complex emotions and transitioned smoothly from the past to the present and back, and when she makes a revelation she makes it quietly. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
A woman on the brink of middle age, grieving over the suicide of her restless, alcoholic, brother Liam, tries to make sense of her large and dysfunctional family by reaching back into the past in an attempt to piece together the roots of Liam's unhappiness.

Beautifully, lyrically written stream-of-consciousness. Veronica the narrator is unexceptional but easy to identify with; an Irish everywoman whose family may well be a metaphor for the tribulations of twentieth-century Ireland. Her speculations and evasions, and the frequent timeshifts (rather reminiscent of Muriel Spark), make for disjointed reading but throw Veronica's inner turmoil into sharp focus. It's not a challenging read but not a page-turner either and those looking for a strong linear narrative will be disappointed. For those prepared to take it slowly and thoughtfully it's very satisfying.
  enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |

enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |
Read Jason's review if you really want a good, in-depth commentary of this book.

This book made me finally realize that I do NOT like stream-of-concious books! I di not enjoy Saturday, or Mrs. Dalloway (I know, I am a heathen!), I do not want to hear a person's every thought and the thought process that they go through.

I found this book to be depressing, frustrating and annoying. Retreived memories, false memories, invented memories, what really did or did not happen, it like watching someone's else's therapy session. Characters were not defined, comments were not explained, and story threads were not followed.

The author uses the language beautifully, but I could not enjoy the words for the story. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
At its best Enright's prose style is excitingly original, a blend of defensive social satire with extreme precision in evoking sounds, smells, and atmosphere and a great ability to make rapid and telling transitions from past to present, concrete to abstract, narrative to reflection. However, these qualities emerge for the most part in sections peripheral to the main story.... When, on the other hand, she slides into melodrama and literary formula, The Gathering does indeed sound like at least nine other writers and by no means the best.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, Tim Parks (pay site) (Apr 17, 2008)

Her prose often ravishes and sometimes repels: reading her can be like staring into the lustrous surface of a lake, trying to discern the dangers lurking beneath. . . Bringing together the skills she has honed along the way, Enright carries off her illusions without props or dei ex machina, bravely engaging with the carnival horrors of everyday life.

added by lucyknows | editscis (pay site)

Anne Enrightprimary authorall editionscalculated
Verhagen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would like to write down what happened in my grandmother's house the summer I was eight or nine, but I am not sure if it really did happen. I need to bear witness to an uncertain event. I feel it roaring inside me--this thing that may not have taken place. I don't even know what name to put on it. I think you might call it a crime of the flesh, but the flesh is long fallen away and I am not sure what hurt may linger in the bones.
…I was living my life in inverted commas. I could pick up my keys and go ‘home’ where I could ‘have sex’ with my ‘husband’ just like lots of other people did. That is what I had been doing for years. And I didn’t seem to mind the inverted commas, or even notice that I was living in them, until my brother died.
This is The Gathering by Anne Enright. It should not be combined with The Gathering by Joseph Lidster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,621,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible