dismiss

Forgotten Memories by Penny Zeller

Forgotten Memories (edition 2022)

by Penny Zeller (Author)

Rating:*****

Work Information

Forgotten Memories (Wyoming Sunrise) by Penny Zeller

MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

Forgotten Memories is such a sweet romantic read, but it takes a good while to actually get to the sweetest part. Annie Ledbetter and her family were traveling with a small wagontrain to The Wyoming Territory to start a new life. On the trail they were robbed, with one man shot and Annie’s pregnant mom going into early labor. It was a miracle a Dr came by at the right time to save their lives. The rest of their trip was uneventful. Caleb Eliason lived with his pa (the town preacher)and their family. No Longer a life of a lawman, but now as a follower of the Lord. When these lives are brought together, will they recognize each other from seven years ago?

I love love this story, and the town of Willow Falls and its people. There are many different flavors of characters making up this small town. I love how these people loved each other and was always willing to lend a hand, specially Caleb. He is such a sweet guy and I love his caring heart. Annie fit right in being the new school teacher, and her love for the children. I was hoping the two would forget their past, but then there wouldn’t be a story would it? Penny Zeller does a fabulous job with the characters and the historical details so vividly told in each scene, which tells her amount of research. Her excellent writing skills show from the begging to the end of this book. The characters are realistic and I was happy to feel like I was in each setting with them. I can’t wait for the next book in this series. If you enjoy a clean Christian fiction with character that will stay with you for a long time, you really will enjoy Forgotten Memories by Penny Zeller. This is a book I highly recommend. This book is Five Stars for me.

A special thanks to the author/publisher for a copy of this book. I am not required to write a positive review, the opinions here are mine alone. I am disclosing this with my review in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. ( )
  ibjoy1953 | Oct 15, 2022 |
Forgotten Memories chronicles the lives of Annie Ledbetter and Caleb Eliason in the Wyoming territory. Annie Ledbetter and her family along with those traveling with them find their wagon train under attack from robbers. Caleb, his brother Cain, and Cain’s friend Roy attempt to rob the wagon train. When Caleb finds Annie hiding in one of the wagons, she begs him not to take their only money. Then she begs him not to hurt anyone.

Seven years into the future, the two meet again when she takes a job teaching in the town in which Caleb resides. This book proves the importance of not keeping secrets, but also forgiving those who sin against us as God forgives us for our sins.

I loved seeing Annie and her family move past the initial feelings towards Caleb and recognize that we all become new people in Christ. The author did an excellent job creating a story that exemplifies loving others as Christ loves us.

So if you want to read a work of Christian historical fiction centering around forgiveness, mercy, and God’s love, check out this book for yourself.

I received a complimentary copy of this book, but this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  PattiP1992 | Oct 12, 2022 |
This is my first book by Ms Zeller and I found it an enjoyable read with the theme of forgiveness throughout. I loved that it showed how it is difficult to forgive one’s self for things in the past. Caleb struggles with a life he was born into but when push came to shove he makes a choice that changes the course of his life and reconnects him with people from his past life. Annie is a sweet, kind person who is faced with forgiving and how to process it with the help of the Lord. Heartwarming and heart touching this story is full of faith and the power of forgiveness and second chances. One of my favorite parts of this book was the banter between young Charlotte and her brother John Mark. It brought a fun and lighthearted perspective to the story. A quick read that is satisfying.
I received a complimentary copy from CelebrateLit. The honest review and opinions are my own and were not required. ( )
  Lucy_M_Reynolds | Oct 4, 2022 |
After finishing this book I had to collect my thoughts so I could let readers know how powerful this story is. I love the historical setting and liked how the author described it. My granddad traveled by wagon to homestead his place in the late 1800s. I can remember stories he told me about how hard the travel was and the difficult time he had going through terrain that was hard to maneuver. The author captures this part of the story very well and I appreciate how she helped remind me of my granddad. I couldn’t wait to see where Annie’s journey would go so I anxiously dived into the book.

At the beginning of the book we witness Annie as a young girl traveling with her family hoping for a new beginning. It was hard for them to move but they packed up what they could and off they went with all their belonging in the wagon. Along the way the unthinkable happens. I loved how the author shows how Annie grows up but always keeps that day tucked away in her memories.

I loved Annie and how kind she was. Her devotion to teaching made me so happy. I loved how the author described the one room school house and how the children loved being there. When she finds a family to stay with while teaching it seems she is content. Annie is starting to enjoy her teaching job and soon finds an admirer named Caleb. I’m sure this new relationship helped Annie start to feel more comfortable in the town and helped her start to become more independent away from her own family. It was nice that she would travel home on weekends when weather permitted.

Caleb has a dark past that he hoped to never have to relive. Being adopted was a blessing for him and his new family is just what he needs to change his life. The author does share his childhood and illustrates how much Caleb wanted to be accepted and be part of a family. It is pointed out in the story that it is not a coincidence that Annie and Caleb meet. Now I was intrigued.

Without going into much detail I loved the theme of forgiveness and second chances. What if we had not been given a second chance? I think about the things I have done in my life and am thankful that my sins have been forgiven. Caleb has walked through sone hard trials but God showed him he was forgiven and now has changed into a man who now shares his faith with others. It was hard for Annie to forgive Caleb after she realized who he was. I liked how the author didn’t rush Annie to forgive, but showed us how sometimes it is hard to forgive when the pain is too much.

There is one other person in the story that I must mention. Caleb’s brother Cain was a mean and cruel person. He robbed, harmed and took advantage of others. He brought his young brother into this lifestyle thinking it was the best way to survive. Caleb holds bitterness towards Cain and hasn’t thought about him in years. When they meet up again, this to me was the most emotional part of the whole story. We can remember that God forgave us, but when faced with having to forgive someone it becomes harder. Caleb wants to hold on to bitterness and finds it hard to believe his brother would ever change. What happens when they meet face to face years later ? To find out, grab yourself a copy and experience the promise that, “God will never leave us nor forsake us.”

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. ( )
1 vote Harley0326 | Oct 4, 2022 |
Forgotten Memories by Penny Zeller, is the first book in the Wyoming Sunrise series. This is a well written, easy to read story that is based in the late 1870’s in Wyoming. As a young child, Annie and her family were in a wagon train that was attacked by three men. Annie was left with the memory of almost losing her mother and unborn sister.

Caleb was raised by a hard father and then his older brother who forced him into the criminal life he didn’t want to be in. With God’s timing he was able to seek help for injured victims and turn himself in.

I really enjoyed this story. It is easy to envision the surroundings and happenings. Annie and Caleb have both worked hard to put the past behind them. Annie is now the new teacher in the area of the farm Caleb worked so hard to have. This is a beautiful story of second chances, starting over, redemption and forgiveness. I enjoyed the love and interaction between the members of Caleb’s new family. I especially appreciated the counsel of Caleb’s new father, the town’s minister.

I voluntarily received a complimentary copy of this book, this is my honest review. ( )
  eccl | Sep 24, 2022 |

Penny A. Zeller is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,988,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible