Dream Psychology by Sigmund Freud

Dream Psychology (edition 2013)

by Sigmund Freud

Member:Veliswa
Title:Dream Psychology
Authors:Sigmund Freud
Info:E.S. Books (2013), Paperback, 140 pages

Dream Psychology by Sigmund Freud

This was a great read. Although Freud's theories are not science, it is a good experience to permeate yourself in delving into his world, his ideas, and his conceptualizations of psychology and psychiatry. There are patterns here, but also information that gives you insight if you delve deep enough into the text. This book is definitely worth reading for Freud, psychology, or psychiatry enthusiasts. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 26, 2019 |
OK I didn't enjoy this book at all. I don't understand what a stairwell has to do with a woman's
hoo-ha. I figured I would try to read it to see if Freud's theories were as far out there as I had heard. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Dream Psychology is by famous and controversial psychologist, Sigmund Freud. In this book he gives an in depth analysis about dreams and theorizes the meanings behind them.

This would be a good book for a psychology high school class because it analyzes something that is interesting and that all students can relate to. It would spark many questions and debates that could be beneficial towards generating discussions and different perspectives among students.
  garrasir | Sep 27, 2010 |

2012 Reprint of 1921 Edition. Exact facsimile of the original edition, not reproduced with Optical Recognition Software. Sigmund Freud founded the psychoanalytic school of psychology and is perhaps best known for his focus on the unconscious mind. Freud believed that the interpretation of dreams was important as a point of entry into unconscious desires and the unconscious mind. In "Dream Psychology" we have an exploration of Freud's theories on the interpretation of dreams and through the reading of the following nine chapters of this book readers will gain a better understanding of the theories that made Sigmund Freud such an important figure in the world of psychology: I. Dreams Have a Meaning, II. The Dream Mechanism, III. Why the Dream Disguises the Desires, IV. Dream Analysis, V. Sex in Dreams, VI. The Wish in Dreams, VII. The Function of the Dream, VIII. The Primary and Secondary Process-Regression, and IX. The Unconscious and Consciousness-Reality.

Sigmund Freud is commonly referred to as "the father of psychoanalysis" and his work has been highly influential - popularizing such notions as the unconscious, the Oedipus complex, defense mechanisms, Freudian slips and dream symbolism - while also making a long-lasting impact on fields as diverse as literature, film, Marxist and feminist theories, and psychology. Freud pointed out a constant connection between some part of every dream and some detail of the dreamer's life during the previous waking state. This positively establishes a relation between sleeping states and waking states and disposes of the widely prevalent view that dreams are purely nonsensical phenomena coming from nowhere and leading nowhere. Secondly, Freud, after studying the dreamer's life and modes of thought, after noting down all his mannerisms and the apparently insignificant details of his conduct which reveal his secret thoughts, came to the conclusion that there was in every dream the attempted or successful gratification of some wish, conscious or unconscious. Thirdly, he proved that many of our dream visions are symbolical, which causes us to consider them as absurd and unintelligible; the universality of those symbols, however, makes them very transparent to the trained observer. Fourthly, Freud showed that sexual desires play an enormous part in our unconscious, a part which puritanical hypocrisy has always tried to minimize, if not to ignore entirely. Finally, Freud established a direct connection between dreams and insanity, between the symbolic visions of our sleep and the symbolic actions of the mentally deranged.… (more)

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,071,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible