The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer

The Septembers of Shiraz (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Dalia Sofer

Member:jung22hesse
Title:The Septembers of Shiraz
Authors:Dalia Sofer
Info:Ecco (2007), Hardcover, 352 pages

The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer (2007)

English (57)  Dutch (1)  All (58)
Fantastic story and book. I first came across this as I am a huge Adrien Brody fan and try to see every one of his films as my library gets them. The movie was excellent, so I decided to get the book as well. It is far far more detailed than the movie with loads of people that are not in the film.

I highly recommend this book and hope she comes out with another one soon.

A ( )
  REINADECOPIAYPEGA | Jan 11, 2018 |
A novel. A notable book: New York Times book review
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Well written and engaging, but not quite good enough to deserve a fourth star — or the enthusiastic reviews that encouraged me to read the book. I would have liked more character development and perhaps a less easily perfect ending. ( )
  csoki637 | Nov 27, 2016 |
Very good first novel about a Jewish family in Iran during the Revolution. The father is imprisoned for 'zionist' activities, leaving his wife and daughter to cope with his arrest.

The book is based on the author's own experience. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Well written debut novel about a loving Jewish family with ties to the shah living in post revolution Iran - gem dealer husband is imprisoned for supposed crimes and each member of the family struggles to maintain a life without him - wife in fear for her husband's life yet also trying to be present for her young daughter- the daughter trying to protect her family in a courageous yet naive way, the son living in New York with normal young adult challenges and somewhat detached from the family, and the husband in his jail cell confronting his inner demons while suffering inhumane conditions -

I liked this book a lot - beautifully written with well-developed characters who I cared about and an engrossing plot line - the story was semi-autobiographical which added authenticity - ( )
  njinthesun | May 28, 2016 |
For my parents, Simon and Farah,
my brothers, Joseph and Alfred,
and my sister, Orly
When Isaac Amin sees two men with rifles walk into his office at half past noon on a warm autumn day in Tehran, his first thought is that he won't be able to join his wife and daughter for lunch, as promised.

In the aftermath of the Iranian revolution, rare-gem dealer Isaac Amin is arrested, wrongly accused of being a spy. Terrified by his disappearance, his family must reconcile a new world of cruelty and chaos with the collapse of everything they have known. As Isaac navigates the terrors of prison, and his wife feverishly searches for him, his children struggle with the realization that their family may soon be forced to embark on a journey of incalculable danger.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

Their serene villa life devastated by a wrongful imprisonment, the wife and children of Tehran gentleman Isaac Amin face potential betrayals within their own household and eventually plan a dangerous escape.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,585,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible