The Accidental Tourist: A Novel (Ballantine…

The Accidental Tourist: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle) (original 1985; edition 2002)

by Anne Tyler

Meet Macon Leary--a travel writer who hates both travel and strangeness. Grounded by loneliness, comfort, and a somewhat odd domestic life, Macon is about to embark on a surprising new adventure, arriving in the form of a fuzzy-haired dog obedience trainer who promises to turn his life around.
Member:willralph
Title:The Accidental Tourist: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
Authors:Anne Tyler
Info:Ballantine Books (2002), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages

The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler (1985)

Travels with My Aunt by Graham Greene (sombrio)
    Miss Macintosh, My Darling by Marguerite Young (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: If you're as curious as I am, you'll want to sample what Macon was reading on the plane.

English (86)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (89)
The writing and character development in this book were great but the story left me melancholy. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 17, 2021 |
death of their son separates couple, man finds new self with dog trainer
  ritaer | Jul 1, 2021 |
Well, I am glad that I finally read the book as it was quite different from the 1988 movie version (or at least of my memory of the movie). However, I found that I didn't really care very much about any of the characters by the book's end, which was disappointing, so I am not willing to give it a 4* rating.

In the end, I think Rose was the only woman in the book that I really liked - both Sarah and Muriel were well-written and complex characters but ones who each had (different) flaws that I disliked increasingly as the book progressed. Sarah pigeon-holed Macon and wouldn't allow him to be suffering in some way different from hers & Muriel turned out to be manipulative and needy (which I hadn't expected) ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 12, 2021 |
Another delightful charming read by Anne Tyler......she creates the most bizarre quirky characters, yet ones you immediately want to cling to, to help, to cheer on.......i think because there are little bits of all of us in these odd, often unfortunate folks.... Here we have slightly awkward, stiff gentle man, Macon, very set in his ways....from a somewhat dysfunctional upbringing, engaged in a career he is really not necessarily suited for, yet successful......20 years into a marriage.....one with issues......still struggling from a painful loss........and desperately in need of appropriate training for his poorly behaved Corgi. Laid out by me in that fashion it sounds rather dreadful......but in the hands of Tyler, with the added helping of a wild-haired, resourceful, younger, very alive dog trainer, Muriel, we get to go on a warm journey with Macon as he tries to figure it all out. Funny, moves along a good clip, full of awkward moments, sadness, joy, and whole lot of travel advice......stop reading this.......read the book! ( )
  jeffome | Feb 25, 2021 |

Tyler, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They were supposed to stay at the beach a week, but neither of them had the heart for it and they decided to come back early.
I'm beginning to think that maybe it's not just how much you love someone. Maybe what matters is who you are when you're with them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,663,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible