Patriotism and the American Land (The New Patriotism Series, Vol. 2)

by Richard Nelson (Contributor), Barry Lopez (Contributor), Terry Tempest Williams (Contributor)

Terrorism. Homeland Security. Patriotism. Since September 11, 2001, these terms have emerged as a fundamental part of our cultural lexicon, with their unspoken assumptions and attendant emotions being used to inspire and buttress a set of cultural, political, and military responses to the events of that tragic day. In the months since that moment, most Americans have been immersed in a process of reflection and an ongoing review of the words and actions of our leaders, our media, and our fellow citizens. In different contexts we have been moved to ask the following questions. What is terrorism? What does a secure homeland really look like? Who is a patriot? The three essays in Patriotism and the American Land attempt to address these questions.… (more)

I have always felt that patriotism, if it is in any way meaningful, involves the love of one's native land... in all its glory of topography, and all its biodiversity. This is the first time I've read a book expounding that idea. ( )
  muumi | Jan 5, 2020 |
A challenge to rediscover patriotism as a foundation for a human commitment to stand in defense of the earth.
1 vote | anne_fitzgerald | Nov 1, 2008 |

Nelson, RichardContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lopez, BarryContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, Terry TempestContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,819,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible