Ghostlight by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Ghostlight (edition 1995)

by Marion Zimmer Bradley (Author)

Member:BurnsLakeFarm
Title:Ghostlight
Authors:Marion Zimmer Bradley (Author)
Info:Tor Books (1995), Edition: 1st, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Sci-Fi / Fantasy

Ghostlight by Marion Zimmer Bradley

English (11)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
Oh does this book stink! It's set in 1995 but all the time I was reading it I felt sure that it must have been written decades earlier - and when a Datsun drove up at the end it pretty much confirmed it. This novel must have been rotting at the bottom of a pile of rejects and only published in the hope that MZB's name could still sell it. The only non putrid part is the truth quotes at the beginning of each chapter. With a protagonist named Truth, which was a constant annoyance added to the no direction at all thrashing that substituted for plot, with everything semi-explained in the penultimate chapters, everything in this book is false, false, false. ( )
  quondame | Oct 13, 2018 |
Good read, but not as memorable as Witchlight. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
Truth Jourdemayne has always hated her father, although she doesn't remember him. Thorne Blackburn was a celebrated occultist and near-cult leader of the 60's, but one of his rituals ended in the death of Truth's mother, and the disappearance of Thorne himself (one assumes, to escape murder charges). Scandal notwithstanding, Thorne Blackburn, Aleister Crowley-like, still has his followers - who regularly pester Truth for interviews or opinions on her notorious dad. In an effort to stave them off, Truth decides to work on a book on Blackburn, so that she can show him as he really was, in her opinion - a criminal, not a mystical hero. To further her research, she goes to her father's old estate, site of his notorious rituals. The estate is now owned by a significantly wealthy and charismatic man - and an odd collection of followers. Truth soon realizes they are Blackburnians, occultists devoted to recreating her father's rituals. But they offer her access to their collection of materials relating to her father... and soon she is drawn into a web of events that could lead to disaster - but which could also cause Truth to re-evaluate her father as a man, and to come to terms with her own emotions.
One of the better books in the 'Light' series, recommended for fans of occult fiction. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
While I wasn't expecting great things from this book, I was hoping for at least a smooth read. Unfortunately, the foreshadowing was heavy-handed verging on ham-handed, and the fact that Ms. Bradley apparently felt the need to find (and share with the reader) places for quite a few minor characters from previous books was grating.

I did like the fact that the blocked trauma suffered by the main character was not a supernatural problem but rather one that could happen to any young woman. However, the way in which the traumatic past event is bound up with the traumatic current event's in the main character's life is pretty obvious.

Overall, not a waste of my time, but certainly not a book I'll make an effort to re-read in a year or so. ( )
  Jammies | Mar 31, 2013 |
I am not sure why I keep rereading this series. I don't even really like it. The main character in Ghostlight, Truth, is one of those irritating people who requires a ridiculous amount of convincing that the it's raining, even when she's getting soaked to the skin. This isn't a fatal flaw in a supporting character, but it drives me a little nuts when I have to hang out in her head for three hundred pages.

That said, I am fascinated by the (comparatively) realistic magic system. The magicians are performing something distinctly related to what actual New Age types do, using the same jargon and systems. I would almost have preferred it with less overt fantasy-style magic and more classic haunted house/psychological effects, but it's a decent setup for what I suppose I'd have to call hyper-realistic urban fantasy. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |

Marion Zimmer Bradleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Delon, MelanieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beholding the bright countenance
of truth in the quiet and still
air of delightful studies.

—
John Milton
This is the truth the poet sings,

That a sorrow's crown of sorrow is

remembering happier things.

—Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Truth, poor child, was nobody's daughter
She took off her clothes and jumped in the water

—Dorothy L. Sayers
We owe respect to the living; to the dead we owe only truth.

—Voltaire
Through the unheeding many he did move,

A splendour among the shadows, a bright blot

Upon this gloomy scene, a Spirit that strove

For truth, and like the Preacher found it not.

—Percy Bysshe Shelley
North of New York City, along the edge of the Hudson River, there is a small estate lying between the railroad tracks of Metro North and the broad expanse of the river.
Prologue: The freak spring storm battered the old house with unceasing ferocity, as if attempting to gain entry to that which went on within.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765346664, Mass Market Paperback)

What is the Truth?

Truth Blackburn’s father thought he knew what it was. Thorne Blackburn and his followers settled at Shadow's Gate, a magnificent old house in upstate New York, and sought the Truth about life through ritual and magic. One night, something went badly wrong during Thorne’s most powerful ceremony. When the chaos had passed, Thorne had vanished, and Katherine, mother of Thorne’s young daughter Truth, was dead.

Thirty years later, Truth Blackburn searches for smaller truths: what really happened that night at Shadow's Gate? Did Thorne truly have magical powers? And what happened to her half-siblings, a boy and girl Truth last saw that horrible night when her mother died?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:41 -0400)

A daughter revisits the home of her occultist parents to learn why they were killed the night they tried to return the old gods to Earth. The house is occupied by new occultists, including one who sends her blood racing. Fortunately, the ghost of her father is around to protect her from him. By the author of The Mists of Avalon.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,697,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible