King Arthur and His Knights of the Round…

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table (original 1953; edition 1993)

by Roger Lancelyn Green (Author), Aubrey Beardsley (Illustrator)

A retelling of the story of the boy fated to be the "true-born King of Britain," covering his glorious reign and his tragic, yet triumphant, passing.
Member:JoyfulMommy07
Title:King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
Authors:Roger Lancelyn Green (Author)
Other authors:Aubrey Beardsley (Illustrator)
Info:Everyman's Library (1993), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Work Information

King Arthur and His Knights by Roger Lancelyn Green (1953)

Taliessin through Logres, The Region of the Summer Stars, and Arthurian Torso by Charles Williams (SherryThompson)
    SherryThompson: If you enjoyed reading Roger Lancelyn Green's account of the Arthurian legends, and are ready for a challenge in reading 20th century verse written about the same time, I suggest Charles Williams' 2 small books of verse, combined here with Lewis' patient explanation of each poem in the cycle. (I always read these together, Green first. See also my review of Green.)… (more)

English (23)  Spanish (2)  All languages (25)
I got this book because the author came highly recommended and I thought it would be a fun addition to our homeschool resources.

Then I started reading it aloud to my kids.

It was fine for the first few chapters, very familiar stuff related to Merlin and the Lady of the Lake, blah, blah, blah. The knights of the round table were assembled, the prose was really wonderful, and then everyone started going out on their adventures. It didn’t take very long for things to get really tedious - there tended to be repeating themes of some mix of chivalrous, if overly naive and trusting knights, knights who had no business representing chivalrous character or manners (but were never really called on it or had to deal with consequences for their idiocy/greed/rudeness/cowardice), and women who were either perfect, ideal, virtuous saints or wicked terrible sorceresses (the only exception being Guinevere, who, because of her choice which brought ruin to the kingdom, actually had a little depth to her character). The best part of the quest stories might have been that a lot of them reminded me of their counterparts in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Well done to the Python boys for staying relatively true to the source material.

The overall experience of the stories were a disappointment. I have seen/read lots of stories including King Arthur and his knights that were thrilling and full of heart. Because of that, I was looking forward to experiencing these classic stories themselves. Instead, I really had a hard time reading through all the stories (don’t tell my kids, I skipped a couple chapters before the quest for the Grail started) and I didn’t want to finish.

I don’t fault Roger Lancelyn Green, his writing was the best part of the book. And I’m not against reading other retellings of the stories, but I might just need a break to spend some time watching Merlin or maybe Monty Python again to help motivate me. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
Il ciclo della Tavola Rotonda rielaborato dall'autore, con illustrazioni in bianco e nero ( )
  Drusetta | Jan 1, 2021 |
This is a very readable account of the story of King Arthur. Years ago, I wasn't able to get into T.H. White, but this was very enjoyable. ( )
  datrappert | Sep 19, 2020 |
This was one of the books that I read aloud to Jefferson. But then someone else read him the last chapter and put it away, so I needed to go grab it and read the last chapter before I counted it. That actually happened months ago, but I didn't get around to that last chapter until just now.

Jefferson likes stories and games with knights and wizards, so I thought I should read him one of the originals. But when I started this with Jefferson, I thought I'd picked another miss, because it seemed so dry, and I thought I was going to have to put it away until he was older. But then he would ask some question that would prove he was paying careful attention, or he would leap up for a dramatic reenactment to prove that he was definitely captivated by the story.

So these stories weren't exactly what I was expecting, but Jefferson loved them. And I enjoyed becoming more familiar with the Arthurian legends. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

Reiniger, LotteIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DEDICATED
TO
BYNG HUSBAND
After wicked King Vortigern had first invited the Saxons to settle in Britain and help him to fight the Picts and Scots, the land was never long at peace.
[Author's Note] The story of King Arthur and the adventures of his knights have been told so very many times that there seems at first sight little excuse for retelling them yet again.
[Epilogue] Sir Launcelot landed at Dover and asked of the townspeople where King Arthur was.
This is Roger Lancelyn Green's retelling of Malory's Morte Darthur, published in several editions. Do not combine with any other books of the same title or any other Malory adaptations. Do not combine with "King Arthur's Court" by the same author, which is an abridgement.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,184,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible