Nolo's Encyclopedia of Everyday Law: Answers…

Nolo's Encyclopedia of Everyday Law: Answers to Your Most Frequently Asked… (original 2011; edition 2008)

by Shae Irving J.D. (Author)

1219181,676 (3.75)2
"Turn to Nolo's Encyclopedia of Everyday Law for answers to everyday legal questions that come up in all aspects of life. Easily locate concise explanations about legal issues including: - credit, debt, and bankruptcy - divorce, child custody, and visitation - wills, living trusts, and estate planning"--… (more)
Member:JoyRosenthal
Title:Nolo's Encyclopedia of Everyday Law: Answers to Your Most Frequently Asked Legal Questions
Authors:Shae Irving J.D. (Author)
Info:NOLO (2008), Edition: 7, 446 pages

Work Information

Nolo's Encyclopedia of Everyday Law: Answers to Your Most Frequently Asked Legal Questions by Shae Irving (2011)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an excellent overview and starting place for most day-to-day legal questions. While it can't go over the specifics of every state or situation, it does cover the major issues that are most likely to come up, especially for public librarians. ( )
  kaelirenee | May 8, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the first Nolo Press book (of the many I own or have read) to disappoint me. It is so general as to its subject matter and jurisdictions that it cannot address any specific legal matter in a specific place. I liken it to someone undertaking to write a travel guidebook to the entire world. The subject-matter is simply too large to say anything that is meaningful and true for every reader. It would be better to write a series of these books: one per state, one that addresses federal law, and perhaps one that covers the Uniform Code of Military Justice. ( )
  jeffreydbrown | Apr 24, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read several NOLO books over the years and have never been disappointed. "Nolo's Encyclopedia of Everyday Law" lives up to that standard.

A wide variety of topics are covered--almost anything that you might need legal advice on in your day-to-day life. Chapters include: Houses, neighbors, landlords and tenants, workplace rights, small business, patents, copyrights, trademarks, money, driving, wills and estate planning, health care directives and powers of attorney, "older Americans," spouses and partners, parents and children, courts and mediation, and criminal law.

In typical NOLO fashion, the book is presented in a straight forward way for people without a legal background and is organized in a simple way to make it easy to quickly locate what you need. ( )
  dodger | Apr 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read large chunks of this book--some in reaction to things that were going on in my social circles, and some just because I read things if they are sitting there. Since it is an "encyclopedia," the chapters do not really lean on each other. By "everyday law," the book means laws that most ordinary people will have to deal with in their lifetimes, especially aspects of civil law such as family, home buying and leasing, and employment laws. You can almost think of it as "law about life's transitions."

The sections I read in which I had more background seemed to be accurate. The treatment of each topic was, due to space constraints, very shallow and did not yield much new information to me. However, each chapter did explain some of the basic concepts and vocabulary that would allow the reader to make more specific queries, and in some cases tables summarized state by state differences or listed the sections of the relevant state codes. When a younger friend just out of college was visiting and telling us about the very small business he was trying to start with two friends, I realized from his questions that this would be a great book for him. It covered basics about small businesses, the house he was renting, his job, etc.

Thus I am going to suggest that this is a great book to give someone between the ages of 15 and 25. It will fill in a lot of the details that age group hasn't picked up on yet. If you are older and more experienced (at least vicariously through your friends), you will probably find it to be less valuable although still probably worth thumbing through at the library. ( )
1 vote chellerystick | Apr 2, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I could recommend this book for a person not in the legal world, who needs an easy-to-navigate guide. The sections are well organized and written in a style that makes for understanding without dumbing down. Not terribly exciting, but that's not the purpose. ( )
  Ann_Louise | Feb 27, 2011 |

From credit and debt to workplace rights, common legal questions arise for nearly every adult. Whether one is dealing with harassment by a collection agency or the seller of a new car that turned out to be a lemon, Nolo’s Encyclopedia of Everyday Law provides Americans who care about their rights guidance on hundreds of issues that intersect with the law, including:

* bankruptcy

* home buying

* wills

* divorce

* social security

* landlord-tenant issues

* child custody and visitation

Plus, the book provides additional resources to assist readers in solving their problems, such as government agency contacts and a glossary of legal terminology. Armed with the information provided in this comprehensive guide, people will know their legal rights – and be better prepared to stand up for them.

The eighth edition is updated with current resources.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shae Irving's book Nolo's Encyclopedia of Everyday Law was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Nolo

An edition of this book was published by Nolo.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,604,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible