Marina

Info:Publisher Unknown, 260 pages
Collections:General reading
Rating:*****
Tags:my-books

Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2005)

Recently added byprivate library, sinaayla, ErinDarby, vangogan, ElleGato

English (67)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (86)
A deliciously gothic tale about Oscar, a boy in Barcelona who meets a girl named Marina and her father Herman in an old, falling-down mansion. One night when Oscar and Marina are walking in an old cemetery, they spy an old woman in black setting a rose on an unmarked grave. This ends up leading them to a series of strange people in strangers situations, including some pretty terrifying monsters. I really enjoyed this one. It's a little predictably tragic, but it works - that's just the kind of book this is. The imagery is fantastic and the characters are fascinating. Definitely going to be picking up more Zafon. ( )
  melydia | Jan 12, 2018 |
15-year-old Óscar disappears in May 1980 from his boarding school in Barcelona. During seven days and seven nights, no one knows where he is...

Marina is the fourth book I have read by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (not counting The Rose of Fire since it’s a short story) and I think it’s probably the best I have read of him. This book has nothing to do with The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. But I don’t mind that, it's refreshing to read something different. The story takes place in Barcelona just like The Cemetery of Forgotten Books does but this is years later and the story has nothing to do with forgotten books instead this is a love story. Or love stories, one in the present 1980’s Barcelona and one in the past, both tragic.

This is one hell of a well-written book with a story that really spoke to me; tragic love stories, revenge, scary dolls, experiments, murder and a mystery woman in black with a tragic past. I just wish I could find more books like this.
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
direi che per certi versi è forse più bello degli altri scritti da Zafon, semplice e scorrevole e coinvolgente ( )
  SirJo | Sep 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another outstanding book from a favorite author, Marina takes us once again to Barcelona, that Spanish city of secrets, love, mysterious buildings, and magical realism.

A young man meets a beautiful girl and falls in love. He escapes from school periodically to spend time with her and her father. But mystery and horror await as they discover old secrets and lost family ties.
This isn't an ordinary romance with dreary emotions. It's much better written; Zafon has a unique style that's intriguing and lyrical. The suspense is nicely handled, the young lovers sweet without being cloying. Highly recommended. ( )
  bohemima | May 15, 2017 |
Once again Zafón managed to produce one of the most beautiful and heart wrenching books I have ever read.
Simply superb... ( )
  FilipaCorreia | Jun 30, 2016 |
Pour Jaume Mateu Adrover,
dont, tôt ou tard,
le nom devait finir dans un livre,
et pour Antonio Verdasca,
dont la science pourrait en remplir
bien d'autres.
Amigo lector:
Siempre he creido que todo escritor, lo admita o no, cuenta entre sus libros algunos como sus favoritos.
If I'm ever lost, the place to look for me would be a railway station..

In May 1980, fifteen-year-old Oscar Drai suddenly vanishes from his boarding school in Barcelona. For seven days and seven nights no one knows his whereabouts.

His story begins in an old quarter of the city, where he meets the strange Marina and her father, German Blau, a portrait painter. Marina takes Oscar to a cemetery to watch a macabre ritual that occurs on the last Sunday of each month. At exactly ten o'clock in the morning, a coach pulled by black horses appears. From it descends a woman, her face shrouded by a black velvet cloak. Holding a single rose, she walks to a gravestone that bears no name, only the mysterious emblem of a black butterfly with open wings.

When Oscar and Marina decide to follow her, they begin a journey that transports them to a forgotten, postwar Barcelona - a world of aristocrats and actresses, inventors and tycoons - and reveals a dark secret that lies waiting in the mysterious labyrinth beneath the city streets.

"When boarding-school student Oscar Drai meets Marina, she promises him a mystery and takes him to a secret graveyard deep in Barcelona, where they witness a woman dressed in black lay a single rose atop a gravestone etched with a black butterfly. Their curiosity leads them down a dangerous path, and they discover a decades-old conspiracy that puts their lives in the hands of forces more sinister and mystical than they could have believed possible"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carlos Ruiz Zafón's book Marina was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,578,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible