Death of a Hollow Man (1989)

by Caroline Graham

Series: Chief Inspector Barnaby (2)

4161948,111 (3.76)13
Backstage at the Causton Amateur Dramatic Society's production of Amadeus, nerves are fraying. On top of the fractious cast hierarchy imposed by Harold Winstanley, director and would-be impresario, cast member Esslyn Carmichael suspects his wife is having an affair with the leading man. And where better to settle scores than the stage? On opening night, Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby attends, purely as a member of the audience. But when someone turns Esslyn's final grand gesture into a very gruesome coup de theatre, Barnaby suddeny finds himself centre stage...… (more)

English (18)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (19)
I continue to love this series both on screen and in print. However, there is something to be said about the book always being better than the film (or, in this case, the TV series). There’s something about reading this and already knowing the end that lets me appreciate both the writing and the characters more. I can sit back, relax, and take in the prose instead of trying to noodle who the murderer is. I’m also gaining a definite appreciation for the way that Caroline Graham writes and looking forward to the next book. ( )
  cthuwu | Jul 28, 2021 |
the theatre suicide of a major character becomes murder when razor is untaped, many suspects
  ritaer | Jul 22, 2021 |
This is the second in the Inspector Barnaby series and follows along in a similar style. The plot is clever and it includes an interesting collection of characters. ( )
  M_Clark | Feb 13, 2021 |
Once you begin, you can't stop.
I am a huge fan of Midsomer Murder series and watch it over and over again.
This year I decided to read the books in the Inspector Barnaby series. As with the series, once you begin you cannot stop. Why I have waited so long to read them? I could give some clever answers, even valid reasons but yes, here I am. In Afrikaans, we would say... Die agteros kom ook in die kraal.
No matter, I am here.
The book is so much better than the series. I understand that during the filming they cannot convey all the intrigue factors into the story due to time so it was as if I read the story for the first time.
The characters were well-defined, each bringing their own twists and flavours to the plot. Barnaby himself was all that I have expected. Troy was his loveable self and it added to the already growing cast. The blooming romance between Diedre and David balanced the story beautifully as both had some struggles to overcome that made them stronger and brought them closer.
The descriptive writing made for colourful reading always building to get to the end. If you have not read this book, please do, it is worth it. ( )
1 vote lynelle.clark.5 | Aug 30, 2020 |
Lord, what a stinker. I found the first book of the Midsomer Murders source material enjoyable but the second was terrible. It spent way too long setting up the murder and I stopped keeping track of who the various back stabbing characters were. The actual solving of the case was a fairly minor portion of the story and Sgt. Troy's homophobia really annoyed me, even if it was probably accurate in the police at the time. I did enjoy getting more of Joyce's backstory but no more of this series for me.
  amyem58 | Jan 27, 2020 |

Graham, Carolineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
BascoveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaljuste, MariKujundaja.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liivamägi, UrveTÕlkija.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,049,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible