Alchemy and Academe by Anne McCaffrey

Alchemy and Academe

by Anne McCaffrey

398None26,817 (3.22)2
Recently added byholczer13, suteko, JaeKamel, private library, norman-ramsey, HexiJester, Richard2227, casbahj, tinawind

"An enchanting collection of tales, enchantments, things magical and strange, devils and demons, professors of potent powers, witchcraft and wizardry, and more. Master fantasy writer Anne McCaffrey has chosen 20 short tales and poems of wonder and awe, written by the finest writers of fantasy today, including: Robert Silverberg, L. Sprague de Camp, R.A. Lafferty, Gene Wo lfe, Carol Emshwiller, Sonya Dorman, and others" From Amazon.com
  Pebblesgmc | Nov 25, 2010 |
Forgettable.

I found a copy in a used-book store, and the friend I was browsing it with tried to dissuade me from purchasing it because, and I quote her, "It's not very good." I should have listened to her. I ended up selling the copy back to the store. ( )
  noneofthis | Jun 6, 2010 |
This is an anthology of short stories on the theme of alchemy. At least, that's what it's supposed to be. I saw very little that had anything to do with alchemy. In fact, very few of the stories made any sense at all. These were very seventies...and it seemed like so many of the authors were high - and not in a good way.

I think there was only one real story worth reading called "The Devil You Don't", and even that one was a good premise that fell very short in the telling.

This would have been very disappointing if I had paid more than a dollar for it.
  Caramellunacy | Nov 25, 2006 |
"We deal in data. We utilise discovery, experience, the products of great minds. What went wrong with previous governmental forms might well be that they spent too much time dwelling on things they did not know. Such preoccupation is impractical. Our philosophy is simple. It is the whole object of this machine that stands behind me. If you don't know something, find it out. If you can't find it out, it isn't worth knowing. All knowledge is in the public domain. There are no secrets, no oracles, no revelations granted solely to saintly men. We know this is so because we make it so ..."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345344197, Mass Market Paperback)

An enchanting collection of tales, enchantments, things magical and strange, devils and demons, professors of potent powers, witchcraft and wizardry, and more. Master fantasy writer Anne McCaffrey has chosen 20 short tales and poems of wonder and awe, written by the finest writers of fantasy today, including: Robert Silverberg, L. Sprague de Camp, R.A. Lafferty, Gene Wolfe, Carol Emshwiller, Sonya Dorman, and others.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:19 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible