The Cat Who Went Underground by Lilian…

The Cat Who Went Underground (original 1989; edition 1989)

by Lilian Jackson Braun (Author)

Series: The Cat Who... (9)

Qwilleran decides to spend the summer in Mooseville and becomes intrigued by the high mortality rate among its carpenters.
Member:Altivo-
Title:The Cat Who Went Underground
Authors:Lilian Jackson Braun (Author)
Info:Berkley (1989), 288 pages

Work Information

The Cat Who Went Underground by Lilian Jackson Braun (1989)

3 ½ stars, I prefer Pickax City to Mooseville for the setting, I think because I like the cast of regular characters in Pickax better then those in Mooseville. Still it was a decent mystery and the cats are always entertaining no matter the setting. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
IÛªve read many reviews of ‰ÛÏThe Cat Who‰Û_‰Û books where people complain about the character James Qwilleran, but I‰Ûªve never found him unlikeable, just human. Maybe Qwill and I have been spending too much together lately, but in this 9th outing, he got on my nerves a bit.

As the novel opens, Qwill has decided to load Koko and YumYum into their traveling picnic hamper and leave Pickaxe to spend some time at the Klingenschoen cabin by the lake in Moose County. Once there, despite the beauty of his surroundings he proceeded to piss and moan and generally be useless about all the little things that needed to be done to ‰ÛÏrough it‰Û in the luxurious cabin. Maybe all that money is going to his head. Maybe he‰Ûªs grouchy and horny because Polly was away in England for the summer. Whatever, he was just annoying. Sorry but I unapologetically prefer a man who knows how to check the damn pilot light, can hammer a nail, and isn‰Ûªt freaked out by a few spiders.

As a rule I don‰Ûªt mind the leisurely pace of these novels, but this one seemed to have even less forward momentum than usual. The mystery took quite a while to solidify, and the solution was both far-fetched and sad.

All in all, not my favorite but I‰Ûªm sure Qwill and the cats will be back in my good graces with the next installment.

Originally published: 1989

Body Count: 6 5 carpenters (bludgeoned by a serial killer who is the alter ego of a female plumber); the larcenous Captain Phlogg from the antique store (alcoholism)

Preceded by: The Cat Who Sniffed Glue

Next Up: The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
What an absolute delight to spend reading time with favorite characters Jim Qwilleran with Siamese cats Koko and Yum Yum. Jim thinks a little retreat to his log cabin in Moose County will soothe his restlessness as he's missing his friend and head librarian at Pickax, Polly Duncan. Polly has traveled to England for the summer as part of an exchange program so his favorite dinner companion and conversationalist (other than friend Arch Riker) is not available. Being at the log cabin for the summer will also allow for dinners with Riker.

Leaving Pickax in a restless state with a refrigerator on the fritz (no ice cubes!) Jim thinks the cabin will provide the soothing time he'd like to enjoy this summer. Little does he know that more than just appliances can need repair in an old log cabin. I found the repair process with Glinko's hysterical at times and at other times could commiserate with Jim's experiences calling for repair assistance. It definitely adds to the smiles of this tale.

I rarely enjoy the review blurbs on the front covers of a novel but this time the Chicago Sun-Times description is purrfect ~"The mix of crime and cats {is] catnip to readers who like both." I heartily agree. ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Nov 9, 2019 |
Jim Qwilleran wants to spend the summer at his log cabin with his cats but bodies start popping up. Qwill is under suspcion and his cat, Koko, has to clear his name. ( )
  gypsysmom | May 10, 2018 |
Qwill had decided he and the Siamese will spend summer at his log cabin in Moose County. A lazy, quiet summer he thinks. He finds that life in the country is not as idyllic as he thinks!

Finding that the cabin is a bit short of space, he decides to have an add-on built to give him some office space and an apartment for Koko and Yum Yum (yes, they are spoiled). It is hard enough to find a carpenter available during the summer months since many sign on with the large contractors. There seems to be a building boom and summer is the best time to build.

Further problems arise when first one and then another carpenter stop showing up to complete the work. Along with this is having to deal with the crankiness of an old building that needs maintenance. Lucky he has signed on with Glinko, a local network of repair people, to handle his calls for repairs.

Meanwhile Koko seems to have become fascinated with the trap door that leads to under the cabin to access pipes and the lot. There seems to be something there that needs his investigation. When he isn't there he can be found perched on the large moose head over the fire place.

Add to this a horrendous storm that almost destroys the area and things are really happening, besides just a few dead bodies showing up.

A quick and fun read for me. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jan 8, 2018 |
If Jim Qwilleran had read his horoscope in the daily paper on that particular morning, perhaps none of this would have happened.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,321,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible