Food for Life: The New Science of Eating Well

by Tim Spector

A comprehensive guide to the new science of nutrition. Food is our greatest ally for good health, but the question of what to eat has never seemed so complicated.Spector creates a unique, thorough, evidence-based guide to the real science of eating. Moving away from misleading notions of calories or nutritional breakdowns, Food for Life empowers us to make our own food choices based on a deeper understanding of the true benefits and harms that come from our daily transactions with the foods around us. Combining cutting-edge research with a personal insights, and taking a wide angle lens on everything from environmental impact and food fraud to allergies and deceptive labelling, Spector takes a deep dive into each food type. He also includes easy-to-implement action points and useful tables as practical tools in our everyday food decisions.… (more)

Something of a let down overall. Whilst Tim Spector and the various experts and contributors at ZOE have made a profound impact on many people, me included, this book does not quite provide the anticipated scientific background. There is a plenty of information, but the conversational style feels more like the text of a podcast and contains some horribly unscientific generalisations. Feels like "I've started so I'll finish" structure. For me could have been more information dense and concise. Useful Appendices though. ( )
  CraigGoodwin | Apr 20, 2024 |
I first came across Tim Spector because of COVID. His company, ZOE, launched an app which I and millions of others used to report daily on symptoms, vaccines, etc. Since then I’ve read one of his books, watched his video podcasts, read his columns and have been duly impressed. This book does not disappoint. It sums up everything he has learned about eating and sometimes reads like an encyclopedia because of it. But it’s good stuff, much of new and has caused me to rethink some of the foods I eat — and don’t eat. Recommended. ( )
  ericlee | Nov 12, 2022 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,357,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible