The Mysterious Affair at Styles: The First…

The Mysterious Affair at Styles: The First Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries) (original 1916; edition 2020)

by Agatha Christie (Author)

Series: Hercule Poirot (1)

Classic Literature. Fiction. Mystery. HTML:

Who doesn't love a good mystery novel? Curl up with The Mysterious Affair at Styles, a tale from the pen of Agatha Christie, a writer who is regarded by critics and fans alike as one of the masters of the form. This classic manor-house mystery introduces Christie's much beloved character, the detective Hercule Poirot.

.… (more)
Member:jilliancordray
Title:The Mysterious Affair at Styles: The First Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2020), Edition: 2, 288 pages

Work Information

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (1916)

English (257)  Spanish (4)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (273)
Being a big fan of David Suchet's portrayal of the Belgian private detective, I've been meaning to read more of the books on which the TV episodes are based. It's interesting in this first Poirot novel to see the character pretty much fully developed with the well known traits such as his OCD (as in having to straighten things that are not perfectly aligned), vanity over his appearance, passionate temper when he is stumped on a case, his tendency to keep things to himself until he can prove who the culprit is, and his references to himself in the third person. Plus the little grey cells do get a mention. It was amusing also to see Hastings, the first person narrator, so deluded as to think he is a better detective than Poirot, that he has more up-to-date than what he sees as Poirot's outmoded approach, and his inability to see when Poirot is making fun of him with backhanded compliments.

I did remember the denoument from the TV episode which was repeated on ITV 3 a while ago, but I don't believe I would have worked it out otherwise. So I found this a good first introduction to the series and I am only deducting a star from the rating because of the (normal for the time this was published) stereotyped attitudes about Jews etc (and my copy had a reference to a word that is completely unacceptable today although in the story it was meant to be a strictly factual reference to someone's ethnicity as the actual context wasn't derogatory). Although I do make allowances for the times when things were written, those references did grate a bit too much. So 4 stars overall. ( )
  kitsune_reader | Nov 23, 2023 |
I really liked this one! I had my early suspicions and then Christie kept adding bits here and there that made me constantly change who I thought the culprit was, which was great!

I was very impressed that she fit such a great mystery into such a small book. Modern writers should take note... you don't need 600 pages to craft a great read! ( )
  RachelRachelRachel | Nov 21, 2023 |
This may be the first book I’ve bought because of the cover. I found it at a local bookstore, a small book with an ornate green design on the cover. The pages were glided with gold. It was just a beautiful book. And so I bought it, even though I could read it for free if I wanted (it’s out of copyright) - but who would want to miss the opportunity to turn those lovely gold-trimmed pages?

Believe it or not, I have never read an Agatha Christie book. I have, however, just finished watching an excellent Marple series on TV, and so have been exploring more in this genre. So when I found this little gem of a book, I couldn’t resist buying it.

The story itself was interesting but complex. An older woman is killed by poisoning (a Christie favorite way of killing), and Poirot (in his debut) helps the narrator find who among the many suspects did her in. The plot took multiple twists and turns, and in the end, when all is revealed, I’ll admit I was a bit lost as to the (perhaps unnecessarily) complex way this woman was murdered. Sometimes I feel an author is playing with me, throwing red herrings my way to see if I’ll bite. This is one of those books, and while I appreciate her ingenuity, it was all a bit much for me.

But I still love this beautiful book! ( )
  peggybr | Nov 12, 2023 |
Never read any Christie before. I can see why Poirot became such a beloved character, he's a hoot. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Oct 27, 2023 |
Read on my e-reader, which is fine and dandy, except there are illustrations that dont necessarily make it into the ebook itself - either the proofreaders dont translate the images over, or they dont render in the reader.

This is the first time we meet Poirot who has retired from the Belgian police force, and is living in the UK during WWI. His age isnt given, but he seems to be older than the 30 year old "Mr" Hastings, who has been returned home from the front on sick leave.

Hastings spends his sick leave with old friends, only to find the stepmother remarried to a man no one likes, and subsequently dying several days after Hasting's arrival from apparent poisoning. Poirot is living nearby and is soon investigating. Lots of twists and turns, the usual "calling everyone together" at the end, and Poirot thinking he's giving us all the clues to work it out for ourselves ( )
  nordie | Oct 14, 2023 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

To my Mother
The intense interest aroused in the public by what was known at the time as "The Styles Case" has now somewhat subsided.

Classic Literature. Fiction. Mystery. HTML:

Set in the summer of 1917 in an Essex country estate, the story follows the war-wounded Captain Arthur Hastings to the Styles St. Mary manor of his friend John Cavendish. The Cavendish household is wrought with tension due to the marriage of John's widowed old aunt Emily, she of a sizeable fortune, to a suspicious younger man, Alfred Inglethorp, twenty years her junior. Emily's two stepsons, John and Lawrence Cavendish, as well as John's wife Mary and several other people, also live at Styles. Late one night, the residents of Styles wake to find Emily Inglethorp dying. When Emily's sudden heart attack is found to be attributable to strychnine, Hastings, who had runs into his old friend, the Belgian Hercule Poirot, he recruits him to aid in the local investigation. With impeccable timing, Hercule Poirot, the insightful retired detective, makes his dramatic entrance to solve a most baffling case.

Who poisoned the wealthy Emily Inglethorpe, and how did the murderer penetrate and escape from her locked bedroom? Suspects abound in the quaint village of Styles St. Mary--from the heiress's fawning new husband to her two stepsons, her volatile housekeeper, and a pretty nurse who works in a hospital dispensary. On the day she was killed, Emily Inglethorp was overheard arguing with someone, most likely her husband, Alfred, or her stepson, John. Afterwards, she seemed quite distressed and, apparently, made a new will--which no one can find. Nobody can explain how or when the strychnine was administered to Mrs. Inglethorp. High on Poirot's list of suspects are: John Cavendish, the elder stepson; Mary Cavendish, his wife; Lawrence Cavendish, the younger stepson; Evelyn Howard, Mrs. Inglethorpe's companion; Cynthia Murdoch, her protegee; and Dr. Bauerstein, a mysterious stranger who lives in Essex. All have motive and opportunity but only Poirot can discover the truth.

Current Discussions

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102715, 1400109191

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

BHC Press

An edition of this book was published by BHC Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 197,647,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible