Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 1 by Tedesco Ralph

Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 1 (edition 2007)

by Tedesco Ralph

Member:kaslibrary
Title:Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 1
Authors:Tedesco Ralph
Info:Zenescope (2007), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 168 pages
Tags:10128, graphic novel, red riding hood, cinderella, hansel and gretel, sleeping beauty, robber bridegroom, legacy

Grimm Fairy Tales Volume 1 by Ralph Tedesco (Author)

I really liked the concept of this comic book, but was disgusted by the amount of exposed breasts. It seems even when women are strong and independent they still have to be over sexualized. I'm not sure if I'll continue with this series or not. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
For the most part, the stories were interesting, although they all pretty much followed the same pattern and had obvious morals. This was a pretty standard retelling in my opinion.

I wasn't really a fan of the artwork. I knew from the cover that I wouldn't like the representations of women, but I had read a review saying that the actual artwork in the book wasn't as sexualized as the cover. After reading the graphic novel, I discovered the artwork is still pretty sexualized (balloon breasts popping out of tops, tight skirts revealing every curve of the female's backsides).

Also,the artwork gets pretty gorey, so if you don't like that, you probably shouldn't try this book.

While the messages were often empowering to women and focused on women making their own decisions, the artwork was overly sexualized and kind of took away from the overall message.

I give this three stars for the overall plot, despite my disappointment in the ridiculous representations of women's bodies. ( )
  CareBear36 | Dec 20, 2015 |
This is going to be an interesting series :) Grimm fairy tales with lots of boobs, blood, and dark human emotions winning over the good. I don't know all the Grimm fairy tales (I hadn't heard Robber Bridgegroom before for example), but I am looking forward to those I haven't and looking forward to the new dark twists presented here in the one's I do know. The artwork is great and in color. Just beware the sexist idea that all the woman are busty and sexy. :) ( )
  Kassilem | Feb 26, 2015 |
I picked this up from our local comic book shop, because I'm a sucker for anything fairy tale related. This was not what I expected it to be, but so much better! Dark, twisted, eerie, yet with shards of truth, goodness and lightness - these are exquisite tales. I enjoy the thread of the battle between Sela and Belinda (and who they represent) that ties all the stories together. I like how some tales end horribly, badly, wrongly, that people don't always learn their lesson and sometimes, they chose the wrong path. I love the color, design and feels of the drawings - elegant, gorgeous, but with a hint of madness. These are not happy stories. They are not children's tale. They are not for the faint of heart, the sentimental, the squeamish. They are, however, wonderful stories. I am quite rabid to get my hands on Volume 8-14. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 21, 2014 |
The initial offering in the Grimm Fairy Tales saga seems fairly simple at first glance; tales of modern day youth with problems are confronted by a strange woman and a book of fairy tales. The tales themselves are darker versions (read: closer to the original brothers Grimm, though they are definitely not the originals), and have links to the individual problems. The artwork continues this theme of appearing straightforward, but a careful rereading and actually paying attention to the art relative to both the tales and the modern day reveals that there may be something more going on here. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing if the promise if an underlying story is actually carried through in subsequent volumes.

That said, it must be noted that neither art nor tales are appropriate for children. Very much adult all around. ( )
  Anasurimbor | Sep 3, 2013 |

Tedesco, RalphAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tyler, JoeAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dodd, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Todd, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Toledo, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Young, H. G.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
We should stop Chad.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 097868740X, Paperback)

For over two hundred years the powerful stories of the Brothers Grimm have enchanted millions around the world, but there has never been an adaptation as intriguing or provocative as this. Grimm Fairy Tales Volume 1 explores a much darker side of the infamous fables you heard as a child as these classic tales are retold and re-imagined with a terrifying twist you'll simply love as an adult. Red Riding Hood is forced to confront the insatiable hunger of a terrifying beast; Cinderella seeks a shocking vengeance for the years of torture she's endured; Hansel & Gretel realize that the problems they left behind at home are nothing compared to the horror that awaits them on their ill-advised journey; A desperate girl makes a deal with the hideous Rumpelstiltskin only to find she may lose much more than she ever imagined; Sleeping Beauty learns that narcissism can be a very gruesome trait to possess and an envious sister finds her extreme measures to capture the man of her dreams may lead to much worse than just heartbreak from the Robber Bridegroom. Collects Grimm Fairy Tales issues #1-6.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:04 -0400)

"[The book] explores a much darker side of the infamous fables you heard as a child as these classic tales are retold and re-imagined with a terrifying twist you'll simply love as an adult."--p. 4 of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,732,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible