Le Morte d'Arthur (1485)

by Sir Thomas Malory

The legends of King Arthur and his knights of the Round Table have inspired some of the greatest works of literature--from Cervantes's Don Quixote to Tennyson's Idylls of the King. Although many versions exist, Malory's stands as the classic rendition. Malory wrote the book while in Newgate Prison during the last three years of his life; it was published some fourteen years later, in 1485, by William Caxton. The tales, steeped in the magic of Merlin, the powerful cords of the chivalric code, and the age-old dramas of love and death, resound across the centuries. The stories of King Arthur, Lancelot, Queen Guenever, and Tristram and Isolde seem astonishingly moving and modern. Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur endures and inspires because it embodies mankind's deepest yearnings for brotherhood and community, a love worth dying for, and valor, honor, and chivalry.… (more)
    The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck (caflores)
    Tristan: With the surviving fragments of the 'Tristran' of Thomas by Gottfried von Strassburg (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: See the similarities between the two love triangles of King Arthur, Lancelot, and Guenevere AND King Mark, Isolde, and Tristan
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Read the two concurrently and got a good sense of the kind of chivalric literature that gave birth to Quixote's madness.

English (49)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (52)
Abandoned. Thought I could do it, but turns out there's only so much "Sir Bleow-alot unhorsed Sir Palami-wain, Sir Launce-tram unhorsed Sir Perci-had" that a man can take in one lifetime. ( )
  emmby | Oct 4, 2023 |
The first time I read this I was a college student immersed in literature. I loved the language and imagery, truly felt transported to another time and place. With this second reading I see James Bond. Arthur roams the countryside, bedding/leaving damsels, fighting/killing whatever gets in his way, getting himself wrapped up in conspiracies and evil plots, all without losing his smirk. OK, maybe Malory doesn't mention the smirk, but you know it's there. ( )
  MrsBond | Jun 27, 2023 |
If you like any King Arthur story, then read this book. Chances are it comes from this tale. I like the story of King Arthur, but always like the magic part of the story. Mostly with Morgan le Fay and Merlin. In this you'll even see why most people make Morgan le Fay a good character. She is evil at first (she may have a reason though), but towards the end she has sympathy for her brother. It's odd, but works. One thing I found funny was how much the author changed the plot around. Like the age of the character and what happens doesn't stay the same. Which makes me believe that maybe it was written by more then one author. ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
One of those very small Penguin 60s classics that slip easily into ones pocket. I have dozens of them and would read them on the train when commuting.
Extract from Le Morte dArthur, Penguin classics, 1969
  lcl999 | Jul 8, 2022 |
When I was in high school, I spent the summer reading Le Morte D'Arthur. It is probably still one of the best summers I've had. ( )
  zeropluszeroisone | Jan 30, 2022 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

For Anna
To Frances Strachey
Her father inscribes this book
the introduction to which
could not have been now re-written
without her help
in making the ear familiar with words
which the eye can no longer read.
King Uther Pendragon, ruler of all Britain, had been at war for many years with the Duke of Tintagil in Cornwall when he was told of the beauty of Lady Igraine, the duke's wife.
This is the entry for the complete, unabridged text. Please don't combine with selections or retellings!

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1917. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... SIR TRISTRAM THE BEST KNIGHT 259 tram, take your horse. And when Sir Launcelot heard him name Sir Tristram: Alas! said Launcelot, what have I done? I am dishonoured. Ah, my lord Sir Tristram, said Launcelot, why were ye disguised? ye have put yourself in great peril this day; but I pray you noble knight to pardon me, for an I had known you we had not done this battle. Sir, said Sir Tristram, this is not the first kindness ye showed me. So they were both horsed again. Then all the people on the one side gave Sir Launcelot the honour and the degree, and on the other side all the people gave to the noble knight Sir Tristram the honour and the degree; but Launcelot said nay thereto: For I am not worthy to have this honour, for I will report me unto all knights that Sir Tristram hath been longer in the field than I, and he hath smitten down many more knights this day than I have done. And therefore I will give Sir Tristram my voice and my name, and so I pray all my lords and fellows so to do. Then there was the whole voice of dukes and earls, barons and knights, that Sir Tristram this day is proved the best knight. HOW SIR TRISTRAM DEPARTED WITH LA BEALE ISOUD, AND HOW PALOMIDES FOLLOWED AND EXCUSED HIM, AND HOW KING ARTHUR AND SIR LAUNCELOT CAME UNTO THEIR PAVILIONS AS THEY SAT AT SUPPER, AND OF SIR PALOMIDES. Then they blew unto lodging, and Queen Isoud was led unto her pavilions. But wit you well she was wroth out of measure with Sir Palomides, for she saw all his treason from the beginning to the ending. And all this while neither Sir Tristram, neither Sir Gareth nor Dinadan, knew not of the treason of Sir Palomides; but afterward ye shall hear that there befell the greatest debate betwixt Sir Tristram and Sir Palomides that might be. So when the tournam...

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,638,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible