The Sweet Far Thing

by Libba Bray

Series: Gemma Doyle (3)

4,1281072,161 (4)131
At Spence Academy, sixteen-year-old Gemma Doyle continues preparing for her London debut while struggling to determine how best to use magic to resolve a power struggle in the enchanted world of the realms, and to protect her own world and loved ones.

With a sigh, I resign myself to combing through it page by page, though 502 pages is so many to wade through, and I curse authors who write such lengthy books when a few neat pages of prose would do.

-- Roughly halfway through a nearly 1000 page book

[b:The Sweet Far Thing|127459|The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3)|Libba Bray|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1358704741l/127459._SY75_.jpg|3072872] is a doorstopper conclusion to a series, which for the most part does everything the previous books does only more so. We do finally get to a conclusion, but really, the vast majority of the book I probably could have done without.

Things that annoyed me about this book:

- Gemma

The entire book revolves around the time where she will make her 'debut' into society and become a woman. She has the magic of the realms at her disposal--never really explained what that actually mains. And yet she spends the entire book mind controlling her family and others around her and wining about how hard it is to actually make a descision and stick with it.

IT IS A TEDIOUS SORT OF DAY AT SPENCE. WE SPEND THE whole of our French lesson conjugating verbs. Frankly, I do not care whether it is I have dined on snails or I shall dine on snails, as I do not intend ever to allow a snail past my lips and so the entire lesson is moot.

I mean. It's funny, but it's just a very different sort of scale.

- Ann

I get where the whole lack of belief in herself comes from, but oh does it grow grating after a while.

“I’m sorry, Gemma.” She tries to touch me but I shrink away. “If I leave now, I can remember that day as it was. I can always believe that I could have done it. But if I take that chance—if I go to them as myself and fail…I couldn’t bear it.”

Not to mention (too late) that after the fiasco of using magic to pretend to be someone she's not last book backfires... she does it again? Oy.

- Felicity

So it turns out that she's actually either a lesbian or bi and had a relationship with Pippa before she died? But this is only mentioned in the last part of the last book? I think I actually like her the most of the main trio, but she's still very much a young adult/teenage girl.

Things that I actually liked:

Kartik's story line and (believe it or not) even his ending (spoilers). He's stuck in a hardest place but I think makes the most about it all through the book. So it goes.

Overall, not my favorite book series and this one in particular could have been shorter. But it's still not a terrible reading.

Onward!
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
This book probably receives something more like a 4.25-4.5 from me. The beginning of it was a little slow and that, combined with moving, created a little longer of a reading than I had planned on. The last 1/3 of the book flew by though and I absolutely couldn't put it down and was completely entranced by the characters, plot, and world. I really didn't want the book to end the way that it did, but I understand the reasons why. I loved the way in which all the characters grew and even some of the ones I found a little more annoying were redeemed overall. I definitely saw the ending with Pippa coming, but there definitely a few twists with other characters that I didn't see coming at all.

There were still a few parts throughout the book that I thought could have used a little more detail, description, or explaining as with the other books in this trilogy, but overall, I love the world Libba Bray has created and wish I could know more about what happens to all these characters after the book ended even though it was wrapped up nicely for the characters next stage of their lives. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Oooh, what a conclusion to the Gemma Doyle trilogy! Why is the burned East Wing of Spence Academy being rebuilt? Why does Pippa seem so different when the girls visit her in the Realms? Why are the Order and the Rakshana fighting for control? ( )
  Menshevixen | Oct 13, 2020 |
A bittersweet, but satisfying end to the trilogy.

There is a strong parallel between drugs/drug abuse and the magic that Gemma possesses. There are other themes explored, like self empowerment and self determination. Overall, it shows that you should question things and not just blindly follow because that's how it's always been done. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
Various frustrating moments throughout the book (by this point the characters really should be a little more wary of magic, more receptive to visions not being hallucinations, things like that), but I found the ending satisfying enough to bump it up to 4 stars (though it might be really more of a 3). ( )
  elam11 | May 30, 2020 |

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bailey, JosephineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Barry and Josh, with love And for all who believe that peace is not an ideal or a pipe dream but a necessity
The night was cold and dismal, and out on the Thames, the rivermen cursed their luck.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,254,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible