One Last Kill by Robert Dugoni

One Last Kill (edition 2023)

by Robert Dugoni (Author)

Series: Tracy Crosswhite (10)

"Tracy Crosswhite is reopening the investigation into Seattle's Route 99 serial killer. After thirteen victims, he stopped hunting and the trail went cold, stirring public outrage. Now, nearly three decades after his first kill, Tracy is expected to finally bring closure to the victims' families and redeem the Seattle PD's reputation. Even if it means working with her nemesis, Captain Johnny Nolasco. Lead detective of the original task force, Nolasco dares Tracy to do what he failed to: close the case. Forming an uneasy alliance, Tracy and Nolasco revisit old leads and pursue new evidence only to unearth high-level corruption and cover-ups as dangerous as the elusive killer himself. At the risk of being exposed, such deadly and powerful forces will go to extremes to stay in the shadows. That's just where Tracy and Nolasco are headed--to find the twisted truth behind a killer's motives, his disappearance, and his chilling comeback" --… (more)
Member:jbertot
Title:One Last Kill
Authors:Robert Dugoni (Author)
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2023)
Rating:*****
Tags:Thriller

Work Information

Tracy Crosswhite #10

Okay…being honest…on the fence on this one. I still like Tracy, loved seeing a negative colleague emerge less of a douche, and am still curious about what will happen next. I just checked and missed out on many of the books in the series…seven of them…and wonder how that would impact my take on this book. That said…easily a read-a-lone book and no previous books needed.

So…this book…after of a day of gluttonous pre-thanksgiving potluck feasting in Lebanon, I came home to finish this book. Yes, I am behind in my reading commitments BUT I take those commitments seriously. And…the story flows easily and well till one point about page 230 on my copy that had one of the main characters willingly handing off information to a colleague rather than processing it themselves. Not easy to give credence to but, I did move on.

I came away wondering what would warp a character enough in a book like this to have the decisions made…made. Would it be the childhood lived, seeing a parent disparaged and left behind, and knowing wanting vengeance is a real thing but…not sure the vehicle of vengeance in this story was…looking for a term…commensurate with the actions that occurred and needed to be addressed.

That said, Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the ARC – This is my honest review. ( )
  CathyGeha | Nov 15, 2023 |
How far will you go for justice? Would you go as far as to kill for it? Robert Dugoni has do it again with this wonderfully written murder mystery thriller that keeps you guessing till the very end. Book 10 in the Tracy Crosswhite series is quickly becoming one of my favorites. This book can be read as a stand alone thriller. A strong story with plenty of twist and turns.

I enjoyed the authors storyline build up. Detailing the characters and their relationships but still keeping a shadow over the critical pieces that tie in the ending. A great read that kept you turning each page. I lost a lot of sleep over this one because I could put it down. Dugoni did a great job creating a strong female lead in Tracy Crosswhite. Speaking from experience as a Female in a primary Male dominated field, U.S. Marines, it was easy to relate to this main character. The writing was intense enough to have me feeling sad, angry and even laughing while enjoying my read. These are signs of great writing.

I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a great read with 5 stars. ( )
  jbertot | Nov 14, 2023 |
If Robert Dugoni wrote it I am reading it - I look forward to each book and One Last Kill held my attention just as all the previous installments in the Tracy Crosswhite series. In this cold case investigation I have to wonder just how much crap she is willing to take and how the game playing and pettiness is becoming more than a distraction - but it is an honest look at what can happen when personalities clash in the workplace and Dugoni gets the politics just right. A strong police procedural that doesn’t turn away from how things get “handled” and twisted to fit the storyline while protecting the evil, powerful and “dirty” hierarchy.

I look forward to Dugoni’s next book about anything and while I am waiting I am going to reread “The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell” and after that “The Wold Played Chess”. Thanks once again to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for a copy of “One Last Kill”. ( )
  kimkimkim | Oct 14, 2023 |
This is the 10th book in the Tracy Crosswhite series. She's working cold cases and is ordered to investigate the Route 99 killer, who killed 13 women 25 years earlier. Captain Nolasco, Tracys nemesis and the head of the task force that tried to find the killer 25 years ago, is assigned to work the case with her.
This is a really good police procedural. The pace is perfect for a mystery. I like Tracy and I did grew to like Nolasco too. Their relationship is tense, but they did succeed to put their differences aside for a while and work together to find the killer. I managed to guess the killers identity in advance, but it did not hinder my reading experience. There's some political intrigue and corruption I did not like, but can understand the relevance here.
I do think that What She Found should be read before this installment, for a better reading experience. These two books are tightly connected.
Thank you NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for a copy of this book. ( )
  Helsky | Oct 3, 2023 |
I love this series and will keep coming back as long as Dugoni keeps putting out solid books like this one. I would not recommend reading this as a standalone. A large part of this book is the relationship between Homicide (Cold Case) Detective Tracy Crosswhite and her supervisor, Captain Johnny Nolasco. The tension between these two has built over the previous 9 books to the point that they have come to a silent truce. But the Chief puts them together to hunt a serial killer who has become active again since Nolasco led the task force to find him years before and failed. Tensions and Nolasco's ego run high in this highly entertaining thriller.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  she_climber | Sep 27, 2023 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,928,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible