HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The End of Nightwork by Aidan Cottrell-Boyce

The End of Nightwork (edition 2023)

by Aidan Cottrell-Boyce (Author)

313,816,118 (3)1

Work Information

The End of Nightwork by Aidan Cottrell-Boyce

Recently added bykaixo, Luetzen, OpheliaAutumn

No tags

There are a lot of fascinating concepts in this novel.
The main character aging differently than most people? A fantasy, parallel history with interesting prophets and mythology?
I just wish there was more of this, and less "dropped", random details that are supposed to help brush a picture of who the characters are, but end up like reference dropping. For example, all the music bands Caroline loves didn't help me understand her as a person. So I wish that what felt expandable in the story had been replaced by more details about mythology, philosophy, and more existential ponderings diving into the main character's condition.
A lot of themes were started and left, at least to me, unresolved, rather than "subtle".
I felt the ending was too abrupt as well.
That said, I did read the book rather quickly and seldom felt bored, so overall it was an enjoyable read with a lot of potential.

I want to thank Granta Publications and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  OpheliaAutumn | Nov 14, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,781,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible