Never Too Old to Save the World: A Midlife Calling Anthology

by Alana Joli Abbott (Editor), Addie J King (Editor)

Other authors: John F. Allen (Contributor), JD Blackrose (Contributor), Maurice Broaddus (Contributor), Sarah Hans (Contributor), Jim C. Hines (Contributor)12 more, Kathryn Ivey (Contributor), Ericka Kahler (Contributor), Vaseem Khan (Contributor), Guadalupe Garcia McCall (Contributor), Kimberly Pauley (Contributor), Alexandra Pitchford (Contributor), Linda Robertson (Contributor), Lucy A. Snyder (Contributor), RJ Sullivan (Contributor), Ursula Vernon (Contributor), Jaymie Wagner (Contributor), Lashawn M. Wanak (Contributor)

"Once every generation there is a Chosen One, who will stand between humanity and darkness. But why is the Chosen One so often a teenager? Why do only children get swept through portals to save the fantastic world on the other side? Whose idea was it to put the fate of the world in the hands of someone without a fully developed prefrontal cortex? In Never Too Old to Save the World, nineteen authors explore what would happen if the Chosen One were called midlife. What would happen if the Chosen One were: a soccer mom a cat lady a nosy grandmother a social worker a retiree an aging swordmaster? The Chosen One could be anyone-- because when the universe calls, the real question is whether the hero will take up the mantle and answer their midlife calling. Sometimes the world needs a hero who's already been in the thick of chaos and survived. In those cases, age does matter."--Publisher marketing.… (more)

*I received an advance review copy for free and am leaving this review voluntarily.*

Oh boy did I enjoy this book! Are you tired of teenage heroines? Why do the underage protagonists get to have all the fun? Do you like the chosen one trope but are tired of all the same old stories getting played out? Then, this book is for you. As a woman who most people think is past her prime it's nice to read a story with a protagonist that I could relate to that isn't a second chance romance. Don't get me wrong I love them but women past the age of 30 are able to do amazing things.

In most anthologies, there is always a couple of stories that miss their mark but in Never too Old to Save the World I enjoyed every single one. There were times I wished that a particular story would have kept going or that I hope would turn into a series, but that's one of the downfalls of reading short story anthologies. Each writer was able to put their own unique twist on the chosen one trope and no two stories felt the same, it was a breath of fresh air each time. I was so sad when I got to the last story because that meant that the book was going to end. Here's me holding out hope for a second anthology soon.

Overall, I absolutely enjoyed this book. ( )
  latteslipsticklit | Nov 16, 2023 |
This is a great anthology, with pieces by the two editors and several other authors—notably Jim C. Hines and Ursula Vernon. My favorites among the lot were "Launch Day Milkshakes" (Jim Hines), "Jackalope Wives" (Ursula Vernon), "as well as "Ayda and the Messengers" (Jaymie Wagner), "By the Works of Her Hands" (LaShawn M. Wanak), and "All the World's Treasures" (Kimberly Pauley). I really appreciated the older MCs in this volume, and the racial and LGBTQ+ inclusion as well. Highly recommended! ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Dec 5, 2022 |

Wagner, JaymieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wanak, Lashawn M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cochran, Ann MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,475,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible