Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, Book 1) by…

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Richelle Mead

Series: Vampire Academy (1)

Two years after a horrible incident made them run away, vampire princess Lissa and her guardian-in-training Rose are found and returned to St. Vladimir's Academy, where one focuses on mastering magic, the other on physical training, while both try to avoid the perils of gossip, cliques, gruesome pranks, and sinister plots.… (more)
Member:Real_BookWorm86
Title:Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, Book 1)
Authors:Richelle Mead
Info:Razorbill (2007), Paperback, 332 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Vampire, Fiction

Work Information

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Evernight by Claudia Gray (MisfitRhi)
    MisfitRhi: Both set at boarding schools and involve vampires.
    Twilight / New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (RyitGrrl)
    RyitGrrl: Similarities between the romance aspect and the subtle shift of the vampire myth to allow for literary licence.
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (tooimpurenangel)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (tooimpurenangel)
    Hearts at Stake (Drake Chronicles, Book 1) by Alyxandra Harvey (TheLibraryhag)
    Insatiable by Meg Cabot (Books007)
    Books007: Insatiable reminded me alot of the Vampire Academy series...almost like an adult version of this series.
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (gamermom2004)
    City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (The_Book_Queen)
    Wuthering High by Cara Lockwood (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Another boarding school novel that I think would appeal to fans of this series.

English (332)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (335)
I love the world created but maybe I wasn't in the mood for so many teenage shanaenigans ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy is one of the best YA vampire series I have read. I was completely invested in the characters and the story from the first page. The writing style engaged me and followed plenty of plot twists without getting overly complicated. The ending was expected but how the author gets you there is completely not. I highly recommend anything Richelle Mead writes. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Originally posted at Once Upon a Chapter

Vampire Academy is the first book in the Vampire Academy series. It is an awesome first book and makes me want to read the rest of the series as soon as possible! Rose and Lissa have an unbreakable bond. It was forged in possibly the most terrifying moment of both girls’ lives. The cause of the bond remains a mystery for quite a bit of the book. It really adds to the plot line. As the reader you can know what both Rose and Lissa are feeling through the bond.

The story opens with Lissa and Rose staying on a college campus while trying to finish up their high school degrees. Two years ago Rose managed to convince Lissa to leave protected St. Vladimir’s campus in Montana and have been on the run ever since. Finally, St. Vladimir Academy gets serious and sends professional guardians out to retrieve Lissa and Rose. Neither is very happy about going back to the school. Once there, life returns to normal. Both Lissa and Rose have quite a bit of learning to make up for. Rose is on house arrest except for school and her extra training sessions with Dimitri.

Most everyone at the school accepts the prodigals return without too much drama. Mia, Lissa’s boyfriend’s new girlfriend, wants both girls’ reputations ruined. Mia will do anything to keep the spotlight off her. It makes Rose’s task of keeping Lissa safe more difficult. In general, Rose would be happy to silence Mia. Not too long into the school year, threats start making their way to Lissa. They seem a little over the top even for Mia, so who wants to scare Lissa? Does the unseen foe mean to harm Lissa or just shake her up?

Wow! This book kept me glued to the pages (errr, buttons as it were) through the whole story. I didn’t feel like it dragged once. This is a young adult book and there isn’t anything beyond a heavy make out session as far as heat goes. Lissa and Rose are very close. They have a unique friendship that sadly isn’t found more often in the real world. Mead does set up a love triangle with Rose and two other male characters. I have a feeling I know where it’s going to lead but I always feel so torn between both men because they both have their own attributes that make them perfect for the heroine! Despite the conflict that I know is coming involving the relationship, I know that the Vampire Academy series is going to be one amazing ride! ( )
  stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
Originally posted at Once Upon a Chapter

stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
Premise fell right up my alley but at the wrong time. I was not interested in the characters after the first 75 pages and really didn't care enough to complete the story though I wanted to read the series before watching the movie.

If you enjoyed this book and series, great! Please continue to support this author in any way you can!

**All thoughts and opinions are my own.** ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Jun 16, 2021 |

Richelle Meadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Degrave, KarenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Farkas, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my urban fantasy grrrls, Jackie and Caitlin.
I felt her fear before I heard her screams.

Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies...

Lissa Dragomir is a Moroi princess: a mortal vampire with a rare gift for harnessing the earth's magic. She must be protected at all times from Strigoi; the fiercest vampires—the ones who never die. The powerful blend of human and vampire blood that flows through Rose Hathaway, Lissa's best friend, makes her a dhampir. Rose is dedicated to a dangerous life of protecting Lissa from the Strigoi, who are hell-bent on making Lissa one of them.

After two years of freedom, Rose and Lissa are caught and dragged back to St. Vladimir's Academy, a school for vampire royalty and their guardians-to-be, hidden in the deep forests of Montana. But inside the iron gates, life is even more fraught with danger... and the Strigoi are always close by.

Rose and Lissa must navigate their dangerous world, confront the temptations of forbidden love, and never once let their guard down, lest the evil undead make Lissa one of them forever...

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,999,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible