Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Robinson Crusoe (original 1719; edition 2012)

by Daniel Defoe

Member:Emvignya
Title:Robinson Crusoe
Authors:Daniel Defoe
Info:Otava 2012

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (Author) (1719)

English (219)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (242)
God, this one is awful. It's tedious and boring and very poorly written. Defoe has essentially no ability for description. The story line should be interesting, but long, tedious patches are taken up with hideously awful maundering on Calvinist theology, theology which Crusoe apparently picked up merely by picking up a Bible at the age of 26 or so and reading it through a few times. It doesn't work that way.

I have a recollection that I read and enjoyed Robinson Crusoe back in elementary school. I'm thinking I must have read one of those "as told by" thingies. No way I'd have persevered through this rubbish when I was 10 or so.

My suggestion is that anyone wanting to know the story of Robinson Crusoe would be well served to look for a condensed version specifically aimed at children. That way, you'll likely manage to escape most of this book's awfulness, awfulness that consumes the major part of the work. All the "action" is basically subservient to the twisted theology Defoe purports to propound. Reading this book was not a pleasant experience.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Publicada en 1719, la historia de Robinson, exiliado en la soledad de una isala, y su travesía de supervivencia, es hoy un mito del hombre moderno. Esta edición recupera la traducción de Julio Cortázar, a la vez está precedida por un imprescindible prólogo de J.M. Coetzee, quien a su vez ha reinterpretado este clásico en su novela Foe.
  Haijavivi | Jun 4, 2019 |
Robinson Crusoe is in large part the story of a man's survival for nearly thirty years on a South American island, but the rest of it is a fair picture of early 18th century European man's strange relationship with the world outside of "Christendom". Little of his experiences shakes his outlook on the world except to fear God more.

Crusoe is drawn to the sea from a young age and, despite increasingly bad omens, he continues to seek adventure there. He is held captive by Moorish pirates for years before making a daring escape with the, at first, unwilling help of a Moorish boy. In the same breath that he thanks God for his deliverance from that most humiliating of experiences of men he accepts an offer from the ships captain for the boy.

The whole reason he gets stranded on the island is when, some time later, he sets out on a ship to buy some people to solve him and his buddies' labor problem on their plantations. Even then, he does not repent the act of buying people, but his greed in avoiding the middle men slave traders at the Brazilian ports. I don't expect modern morality from Crusoe, but that aspect was the most interesting of the whole story. I don't care what gardens your planting and goat domestication tell me more about what you feel about other people!

Unlike Treasure Island and other classic traditional children's novels, I completely understand why I never read this when I was young. The English is modern enough, but the form of it would have been too much for me. As it is I barely pushed through the opening chapters. As one of the earliest English novels, if not the earliest. There's some debate. The main problem is that Defoe didn't know when to end his story. Much like Tolkien a couple centuries later, the story just goes on and on, long after it ceases to be interesting.
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.
  JESGalway | Feb 11, 2019 |
Robinson Crusoe 300
Review of the Modern Library paperback edition

I'm a little early, but I couldn't help notice that April 25, 2019 will be the 300th Anniversary of the first publication of Robinson Crusoe, which is also commonly considered the first English language novel. So it seemed like a good time to tick this off my 1001 Books bucket list.

This 2001 edition paperback from The Modern Library was remarkably easy to read even though it was only moderately edited from the 1719 original. The archaic spellings and run on sentences are left intact, but mercifully the archaic long "s" (which most would see as an f these days) has been changed to the now more common round "s". Some printings are labelled as having illustrations by Gerald McCann, but those are missing from this 9th printing that I have. It does have the Virginia Woolf introduction though.

Trivia Note
Speaking of archaic spellings, the "Oroonoque" river in the original long title, would now be commonly known as the Orinoco River in Venezuela.

Frontispiece and title page from the 1st edition of Robinson Crusoe, published April 25, 1719. Image: Wikimedia Commons ( )
  alanteder | Feb 8, 2019 |
“Robinson Crusoe,” though, remains something truly special: It belongs in that small category of classics — others are “The Odyssey” and “Don Quixote” — that we feel we’ve read even if we haven’t. Retellings for children and illustrations, like those by N.C. Wyeth, have made its key scenes universally recognizable.... A classic is a book that generations have found worth returning to and arguing with. Vividly written, replete with paradoxes and troubling cultural attitudes, revealing a deep strain of supernaturalism beneath its realist surface, “Robinson Crusoe” is just such a classic and far more than a simple adventure story for kids.

A friend of mine, a Welsh blacksmith, was twenty-five years old and could neither read nor write, when he heard a chapter of Robinson read aloud in a farm kitchen. Up to that moment he had sat content, huddled in his ignorance, but he left that farm another man. There were day-dreams, it appeared, divine day-dreams, written and printed and bound, and to be bought for money and enjoyed at pleasure. Down he sat that day, painfully learned to read Welsh, and returned to borrow the book. It had been lost, nor could he find another copy but one that was in English. Down he sat once more, learned English, and at length, and with entire delight, read Robinson... It was the scene of Crusoe at the wreck, if I remember rightly, that so bewitched my blacksmith. Nor is the fact surprising. Every single article the castaway recovers from the hulk is “a joy for ever” to the man who reads of them. They are the things that should be found, and the bare enumeration stirs the blood.
added by SnootyBaronet | editCornhill Magazine, Robert Louis Stevenson

Crusoe has been called a kind of Protestant monk, and it is true that he turns the chance of his isolation into an anchorite’s career. The story is one of spiritual realization — almost half a lifetime spent on contemplation works profound changes, whatever the subject’s religion. We can watch Crusoe become, year by year, a better, wiser man... Robinson Crusoe may still be the greatest English novel. Surely it is written with a mastery that has never been surpassed. It is not only as convincing as real life. It is as deep and as superficial as direct experience itself.
added by SnootyBaronet | editSaturday Review of Literature, Kenneth Rexroth

Is contained in

Is retold in

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,691,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible