Windswept

by Deborah Martin

Originally written under the pseudonym Deborah Martin, this unforgettable tale of mystery, treasure, and passion is back in print at last and newly revised for today's audience--and available as an ebook! Welsh widow Catrin Price is haunted by a family death curse. Any man whom she marries without first drinking from an ancient Druid chalice sold by her ancestor long ago is unquestionably doomed. But when she hunts it down to purchase it, the chalice's former owner ends up dead. Who will believe her innocent with the man's treasure in her hands? Now she lives in fear of discovery, afraid to trust, afraid to give away her heart… Even Newcome, a scholar struggling to overcome a difficult past, travels to Wales to find the mysterious woman last seen with his murdered friend. So when the lady proves to be a beautiful yet shy creature who shares his love of Welsh mythology, he's torn between believing her guilty and trusting the passion blazing between them. But as unscrupulous men seek the chalice for their own devious purposes, will Catrin and Evan let their wall of mistrust stand between them? Or will they defeat their enemies together and embrace the love intended for them since time immemorial?… (more)

What happens when a druid “princess” needs a special chalice to break a curse or anyone she marries will dies within 3 years? That is Catrin Price’s problem. She’s already been married once and her husband didn’t live long enough to make it to the Marriage Breakfast. Four generations of women in her family have lost their husband’s due to the curse. The chalice had been in the family until a male ancestor had sold it – bringing on the curse.
When Catrin travels to London to buy the chalice she becomes embroiled in a murder mystery. After completing her purchase, the Lord she bought it from is found dead. His friend, Evan Newcombe has now come to Wales to investigate the murder.
Using his position as a Cambridge professor who is a known scholar on Welsh history and tradition, he gets acquainted with Catrin and they begin to have feelings for each other. The problem is they are each hiding behind their secrets. Will their relationship be able to withstand the unveiling of their secrets? Are they strong enough to trust their hearts to another? And if Catrin didn’t kill Evan’s friend then who did and are they now in danger themselves?
Sabrina Jefferies does a wonderful job of combining romance, secrets, and danger to reach the Happily Ever After that they both deserve. My one complaint about this book is the many Welsh names and places that make reading hard going at times. Given the fact that the story takes place in Wales, it cannot be helped but it does make reading harder when you have no idea how to pronounce things.
First published under the author’s name Deborah Martin, Sabrina Jefferies is releasing these books under her own name. I received an advanced copy of this book in return for an honest review.
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
Summary
Catrin Price is a Welch widow, and feels the weight of a curse that has killed the men in her family for generations. Her husband died on their wedding day and is still a virgin. She needs to find the Chalice, which will allow her to marry again when its right and not have to worry about losing any chance at happiness and a family to love. Evan may be a scholar, but when one of his closest friends is brutally murdered he must seek out his killer or any information that he can find. Catrin is at the top of his list, he knows that she was one of the last people his friend saw and he must find her. But Catrin is not what he expected, innocent yet full of secrets. Catrin wonders if she can open her heart again even if it means losing another man she loves to the curse...
Plot and Story Line
Windswept is a reissue of a book that Sabrina Jeffries wrote under the name "Deborah Martin". You fall into this story very quickly, which is not a surprise since its one of her older books of course. I did really enjoy the setting and the historical background that we become introduced into. There is a small and tiny mystical element surrounding the Chalice and a curse that was placed on Catrin's family. Basically every woman in her family that marries, the man they marry will die in some way. I really liked this twist in the story but the villain that comes into the story, is not what you expect to see. And yeah he is a pretty psychotic and obsessed element. The romance between Catrin and Evan is quite endearing. I love the way these two connect, from the beginning. Even though they are both keeping secrets from each other, they have such powerful chemistry. I really loved the way these two find so much they both need in each other. Our hero, has struggled with acceptance and being good enough in his life. Our heroine, has lost quite a bit in her young life. I did like how will do anything for a chance for love and to be able to hold onto it. And my favorite side characters were Rhys and Julianna (our couple from book one) and I love their quirkiness and solid support of Evan and Catrin. I also really liked the Welch cultural aspect of the story, since our hero is Welch and boy I liked that. Rough around the edges but soft and sweet on the inside. A sweet and mysterious love story that you fall quickly for.

Life without you is no life at all

The Cover
So pretty and classic...I love the way her dress flows. Quite a beautiful reissued cover. And even though I like the older one too...they are both different.
Overall View
Windswept is a passionate and charming story of Welch culture, a dangerous mysterious element, a bit of magic, and a whole lotta love and passion to get a kick out of!!! TRULY WONDERFUL! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 18, 2019 |
A special chalice is needed for Catrin Price to have a happy, long married life with her chosen husband, with out it her husband will die with in 3 years thanks to a curse that the chalice holds over the bribe. Catrin has unfortunately lost 1 husband already, and they didn't even get a chance to consummate the marriage. This chalice means every thing to Catrin.
Even Newcombe is a Cambridge Professor. He visits Mrs Price as he knows a friend of his had a chalice and made plans to meet her and was murdered, he has his suspicions about her.
This was a great who-dun-it. We're kept wondering what's coming up next and who the murderer was for most of the story, I had no clue who the culprit was until it was revealed. Loved the romance too of cause, Ms. Jeffries always writes the best love matches between her characters. I loved it! ( )
  JulieD2 | Feb 12, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,691,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible