The Storm (The Lighthouse Family) by Cynthia…

The Storm (The Lighthouse Family) (edition 2005)

by Cynthia Rylant (Author)

Series: The Lighthouse Family (book 1)

Pandora the cat becomes a lighthouse keeper and saves the life of Seabold the dog, and together the two of them create a family with three young mice rescued from the sea.
Member:stephaniekezar
Title:The Storm (The Lighthouse Family)
Authors:Cynthia Rylant (Author)
Info:Scholastic, Inc. (2005)

Work Information

The Storm by Cynthia Rylant

It just doesn't get any better than this. Thoughtful, quiet, gentle, challenging vocabulary. Empathy and love abound in this book about Pandora, a cat who lives a lonely life as a lightkeeper. One day Seabold, a brave seafaring dog, is shipwrecked on Pandora's island and a family is born. I can barely get through it because it's so wonderful it makes me cry. The illustrations are lovely as well. A terrific readaloud but would be great for a precocious independent reader since there are challenging words but the content is totally appropriate for even very young children. Marvelous in every way. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
GR: O
GL: 3.8
DRA: 24
Lexile: 700L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 2, 2016 |
Not fake, saccharine, but definitely too sugary for me.  And it's my understanding that most children want even less sweet in their books than I do.  But it's short, so if you're a fan of Rylant, and it's in your library, check it out for yourself. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Cute beginning fiction book with out being an easy reader. Great animal story with nice pictures.
  JudesThree | Feb 4, 2013 |
My reaction to this book was positive. It was a sad beginning that lead to a very happy ending. Starting off with how Pandora knew she was destine to save others that were out on the water. But she eventually became very lonely and had been wishing for a companion and/or friends other than the passer byers. I was so happy to read that her family over time had been formed; Seabold and the three children mice. I thought it was a happy story but very unrealistic. It was a tale that makes you smile and follow the adventure of her family forming before your eyes.

The message from this book is to capture the need for interaction. Pandora was happy for a while until there was something missing. The growth of her family filled the space in her heart yet it allowed her to continue to do the what made her happy, keeping the lighthouse. This story details the reward of being part of something larger than yourself; being able to help others (lighthouse) and also have a family of individuals that you care for.
  JackieL1 | Sep 25, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,030,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible