The Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau

The Confessions (1784)

by Jean-Jacques Rousseau

2,411213,907 (3.53)1 / 85
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau: Restless Genius by Leo Damrosch (wildbill)
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau pedagoog een introductie by I. Van Der Velde (gust)
    'Tis Folly to Be Wise by Lion Feuchtwanger (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Die Bekenntnisse sollten erst nach dem Tode von Rousseau veröffentlicht werden. Der Roman von Feuchtwanger behandelt den Zeitraum kurz vor dem Tode und danach.

English (18)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
«Je forme une entreprise qui n'eut jamais d'exemple et dont l'exécution n'aura point d'imitateur. Je veux montrer à mes semblables un homme dans toute la vérité de la nature ; et cet homme ce sera moi.
Moi, seul. Je sens mon cœur et je connais les hommes. Je ne suis fait comme aucun de ceux que j'ai vus ; j'ose croire n'être fait comme aucun de ceux qui existent. Si je ne vaux pas mieux, au moins je suis autre. Si la nature a bien ou mal fait de briser le moule dans lequel elle m'a jeté, c'est ce dont on ne peut juger qu'après m'avoir lu.»
  Haijavivi | Jun 11, 2019 |
A model of self analysis, engagingly endless. The self doubt of the exceptional is reassuring. My copy's cover is a detail of a drawing of Rousseau by Maurice Quentin-de-la-Tour. ( )
  deckla | Apr 5, 2016 |
Book Description
Widely regarded as the first modern autobiography, "The Confessions" is an astonishing work of acute psychological insight. Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1712-78) argued passionately against the inequality he believed to be intrinsic to civilized society. In his "Confessions" he relives the first fifty-three years of his radical life with vivid immediacy - from his earliest years, where we can see the source of his belief in the innocence of childhood, through the development of his philosophical and political ideas, his struggle against the French authorities and exile from France following the publication of "Emile". Depicting a life of adventure, persecution, paranoia, and brilliant achievement, "The Confessions" is a landmark work by one of the greatest thinkers of the Enlightenment, which was a direct influence upon the work of Proust, Goethe and Tolstoy among others.

My Review
I listened to the audio of this book and found it very interesting. I liked Rousseau's honesty and found him to be a very brilliant man. He had a very entertaining insight of human nature but I found him to be a bit bizarre at times. He was a truly fascinating person, and this classic work of autobiography and the Enlightenment period is not to be missed. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
It's a toss-up which book is worse, Confessions, or Crime and Punishment, which was about a whiny spoiled brat neglecting to notice how everyone around him is breaking their back for his benefit - or notices, but doesn't care. Here, Rousseau notices and claims to care, but calls them suckers for doing so. ( )
  Joanna.Conrad | Nov 4, 2015 |

Matravers, DerekIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matravers, DerekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pontalis, Jean-BertrandPréfacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raymond, MarcelEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1712-1719 I have resolved on an enterprise which has no precedent, and which, once complete, will have no imitator.
I love to busy myself about trifles, to begin a hundred things and not finish one of them, to come and go as my fancy bids me, to change my plan every moment, to follow a fly in all its circlings, to try and uproot a rock to see what is underneath, eagerly to begin on a ten-years task and to give it up after ten minutes: in short, to fritter away the whole day inconsequentially and incoherently, and to follow nothing but the whim of the moment.
This is the complete, original Confessions, only combine with single volumes or complete sets, and not with individual volumes of multi-volumes versions, selection of excerpts, or study guides.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014044033X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:50 -0400)

When it was first published in 1781, The Confessions scandalised Europe with its emotional honesty and frank treatment of the author's sexual and intellectual development. Since then, it has had a more profound impact on European thought. Rousseau left posterity a model of the reflective life - the solitary, uncompromising individual, the enemy of servitude and habit and the selfish egoist who dedicates his life to a particular ideal. The Confessions recreates the world in which he progressed from incompetent engraver to grand success; his enthusiasm for experience, his love of nature, and his uncompromising character make him an ideal guide to eighteenth-century Europe, and he was the author of some of the most profound work ever written on the relation between the individual and the state.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,587,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible