The Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism (1995)

by Daniel C. Matt

Series: The Essential Religious Series

A translation of the Kabbalah for the layperson includes a compact presentation of each primary text and features a practical analysis and vital historical information that offer insight into the various aspects of Jewish mysticism.

English (7)  Spanish (1)  All languages (8)
Interesting, but I lost interest halfway through. Perhaps I'll pick this up again down the road.
  neilneil | Dec 7, 2020 |
This books provides a pretty good overview of Kabbalah. If you are a casual reader who may know little of this religious tradition, this may be the book for you. The introductory material is pretty good in laying out some background and history. The rest of the book presents selections from Kabbalistic texts. Overall, the language is pretty accessible. I think Judeo-Christian folks may find some connections here too. The text provides a nice sense of the spirituality of Kabbalah as well as its valuing of the pursuit of knowledge and truth. In the end, I am glad I read it as I learned a few new things. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
Matt's ideas will inform Bible studies for centuries to come, so they are well worth knowing. This is a beautifully written, modern introduction to a major if often unacknowledged, ingredient in the Western world view. Feminists (pro and con) should find it very useful. It looks like the Great Mother is back. ( )
1 vote quicksiva | Feb 23, 2012 |
NO OF PAGES: 221 SUB CAT I: Kabbalah SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: Kabbalah emerged as a distinct movement within Judaism in medieval Europe, and from the beginning it was both committed to traditional observance and profoundly radical. The kabbalists made the fantastic claim that their mystical teachings derived from the Garden of Eden. This suggests that Kabbalah conveys our original nature: the unbounded awareness of Adam and Eve, which we have lost as the inevitable consequence of tasting the fruit of knowledge. The kabbalist yearns to recover that primordial tradition, to regain cosmic consciousness, without renouncing the world. The Essential Kabbalah offers insightful accounts of the primary aspects of Jewish mysticism, including Ein Sof (the radical transcendence of God), the Sefirot (the ten divine attributes), and the Shekhinah (the feminine aspect of God). A crucial and momentous contribution to the normally esoteric world of Jewish mysticism, The Essential Kabbalah is a rich and vital resource for the contemporary spiritual seeker.NOTES: Donated by Craig Ferguson. SUBTITLE:
  BeitHallel | Mar 23, 2011 |
This book is a cross between an academic look at the mysticism in Judaism with poetry, making it a contemplative work as well. As an outsider to the Jewish faith, I can still benefit from meditating on the poetic descriptions of aspects of the Divine and how one is to connect with God. ( )
  drj | May 30, 2009 |

Daniel C. Mattprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, HustonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ana

On her tongue, a Torah of love

Proverbs 31:26
The Hebrew word Kabbalah means "receiving" or "that which has been received."

What is Kabbalah?
A key to understanding
The essence of life.

(Sinetrig)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,291,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible