Halting State by Charles Stross

Halting State (edition 2008)

by Charles Stross

Sergeant Sue Smith is called in to investigate a daring Edinburgh robbery, a crime perpetrated by a band of marauding orcs with a dragon in tow in the virtual reality land of Avalon Four, and discovers that events in the virtual world could have a devastating impact on the real one.
Member:miromurr
Title:Halting State
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Orbit (2008), Utgave: paperback / softback, Paperback, 335 pages
Tags:Cyberpunk, Scotland, Police, Games

Halting State by Charles Stross

Recently added byrena75, ackck, Montreuil, private library, mhenli32
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (ahstrick)
    Rule 34 by Charles Stross (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Mind_Booster_Noori: Read Halting State first. If you like it, don't miss reading Rule 34.
    Jennifer Government by Max Barry (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Both give a humorous-with-a-bite view of the future of global politics & economics with a techie bent.
    This Is Not a Game by Walter Jon Williams (noneofthis)
    Makers by Cory Doctorow (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: Both are near-future extrapolations of technology, behavior and society.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (infiniteletters)
    Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here And Now #1: Anda's Game by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters)
    Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge (sdobie)
    sdobie: Near future thriller in an always-online world.
    Kraken by China Miéville (MyriadBooks)

English (110)  French (1)  All languages (111)
Good characters development, bit confusing on the technology but it grow natural on you while you read further into this sort of detective story continues; has a strong gaming and paranoia elements, also governments and spy tie in. Not your run of the mill future . ( )
  scottshjefte1 | Sep 6, 2019 |
4 1/2 Sterne, sehr unterhaltsam. Ich hatte es als SF-Buch gekauft, aber eigentlich ist es ein Krimi mit leichten SF-Anleihen. Der SF-Anteil hätte etwas größer sein können. ( )
  volumed42 | May 1, 2019 |
I can't go any further with this.

This is an odd book. It's written in the second person, but I don't mind that. I understand why the author did it, and I kind of like it. I didn't have any trouble remembering which character I "was" at any time.

The problem is that it is filled with so much junk text - mountains of jargon and unnecessary tangents constantly inserted into the narrative - that it is impenetrable.

I really like the core idea - the investigation into a crime committed in a virtual game scenario - and wish I could stay to find out how it's solved, but it is just too tedious.
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Enjoyable look into the near future and potential problems that could result from gamification of everything and a truly ubiquitous internet. ( )
  brakketh | Dec 31, 2018 |
Okay plot, although Stross thinks he's being more innovative than he really is. The idea of people thinking they're playing war games, only to find out it's real, has been done many times. (Ender's Game for one, and lots of movies from the 1980's). The main characters appealing, but undeveloped. Also, I know I'm fighting a losing battle here, but the word "librarian" describes a profession. It does not mean nerdy, intellectual, sexually repressed, insecure, spinsters! I hate to smash your daydreams, guys, but some librarians are soccer moms. Some librarians already have boyfriends. Some librarians are men.

I did like Stross' ideas about what a highly electronically connected world will look like, and how handicapped everyone will when they have to turn it all off. That, and a forlorn hope that I would eventually grasp all of the plot, kept me going to the end of the book. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is his tightest-plotted novel to date, a detective story with a million perfectly meshed moving parts, and a hundred magnificent surprises that had me gasping and shouting YES.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 2, 2007)

Charles Strossprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toulouse, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Datacash Ltd. and all who sailed in her, 1997-2000
Books do not get written in majestic isolation, and this one is no exception. Certainly it wouldn't exist in its current form without valuable feedback from a host of readers. I'd particularly like to thank Vernor Vinge, Hugh Hancock, Greg Costikyan, Ron Avitzur, Eric Raymond, Tony Quirke, Robert Sneddon, Paul Friday, Dave Bush, Alexander Chane Austin, Larry Colen, Harry Payne, Trey Palmer, Dave Clements, Andrew Veitch, Hannu Rajaniemi, Soon Lee, and Jarrod Russell. I'd also like to thank my other test readers, too numerous to thank today. Finally, thanks to the publishing folks without whom the book wouldn't have been written: my agent, Caitlin Blasdell, my editor at Ace, Ginjer Buchanan, and my copyeditors, Bob and Sara Schwager.
Vernor Vinge
Hugh Hancock
Greg Costikyan
Hello. We're Round Peg/Round Hole Recruitment. We want to offer you a job on behalf of one of our clients.
You're a grown-up, these days. You don't wear a kamikaze pilot's rising sun headband and a tee-shirt that screams DEBUG THIS! and you don't spend your weekends competing in extreme programming slams at a windy campsite near Frankfurt, but it's generally difficult for you to use any machine that doesn't have at least one compiler installed: In fact, you had to stick Python on your phone before you even opened its address book because not being able to brainwash it left you feeling handicapped, like you were a passenger instead of a pilot. In another age you would have been a railway mechanic or a grease monkey crawling over the spark plugs of a DC-3. This is what you are, and the sad fact is, they can put the code monkey in a suit but they can't take the code out of the monkey.

"In the year 2018, Sergeant Sue Smith of the Edinburgh constabulary is called in on a special case. A daring bank robbery has taken place at Hayek Associates, a dot-com start-up company that's just floated onto the London stock exchange. But this crime may be a bit beyond Smith's expertise." "The prime suspects are a band of marauding orcs with a dragon in tow for fire support. The bank is located within the virtual reality land of Avalon Four, and the robbery was supposed to be impossible. When word gets out, Hayek Associates and all their virtual "economies" are going to crash hard." "For Smith, the investigation seems pointless. But the deeper she digs, the bigger the case gets. There are powerful players - both real and pixilated - who are watching her every move. Because there is far more at stake than just some game-head's fantasy financial security."--BOOK JACKET

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,576,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible