Eusebius: The Church History by Eusebius

Eusebius: The Church History (edition 2007)

by Eusebius (Author)

Eusebius's account is the only surviving historical record of the Church during its crucial first 300 years. Bishop Eusebius, a learned scholar who lived most of his life in Caesarea in Palestine, broke new ground in writing the History and provided a model for all later ecclesiastical historians. In tracing the history of the Church from the time of Christ to the Great Persecution at the beginning of the fourth century, and ending with the conversion of the Emperor Constantine, his aim was to show the purity and continuity of the doctrinal tradition of Christianity and its struggle against persecutors and heretics.… (more)
Member:SimonSebastianPrice
Title:Eusebius: The Church History
Authors:Eusebius (Author)
Info:Kregel Academic & Professional (2007), Edition: Later Printing, 368 pages

Work Information

The History of the Church: From Christ to Constantine by Eusebius

English (22)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (24)
Absolutely essential reading for those interested in the development of early Christianity up to the 4th century, since it's the first full historical narrative written from the Christian point of view. The glossary in this new edition titled "Who's Who in Eusebius" is practical and helpful for keeping track of the numerous historical figures mentioned in these pages—I wish I'd had recourse to it the first time I read through this book as a student. ( )
1 vote wyclif | Sep 22, 2021 |
Case 7 shelf 2
  semoffat | Aug 25, 2021 |
Very tough to read, the author has a bad writing style (i.e., from within 200 years of the birth of Christ) but full of information. Frankly, after several library renewals of the book, I did not finish it. ( )
  highlander6022 | Aug 24, 2021 |
Eusebius is a scholar, I learnt a lot of new things from this book. I am encouraged by the Early Church fathers especially Origen. It seems that the Early Christians had to face internal threats (heresies), external threats (ridicule, persecution), this is simply too much to Handle but God blessed them. The persecutions in the Roman empire is appalling. There's depth details about persecution especially during Diocletian Era, I could not digest a lot. I wish the Christians today would read this and teach their children. All the Church fathers had written polemics, defended the Christian claims during their Era. The Questions today faced by the Church are nothing great compared to their Era. Overall, a Great book, Eusebius taught me how the Early Bishops were, they were scholars, preachers, philosophers.
  gottfried_leibniz | Apr 5, 2018 |

Radice, BettyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, RowanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williamson, G. A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

If Herodotus is the father of history, then Eusebius of Caesarea (c. A.D.260-339) is certainly the father of church history.
Introduction to the G. A. Williamson edition -- 'The only work of its kind, possessing a value to subsequent ages which belongs to no other uninspired work.'

Kregel Academic & Ministry

2 editions of this book were published by Kregel Academic & Ministry.

Editions: 0825433282, 082543307X

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,014,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible